Chapter 26

Ravanna's POV

I had woken us up early enough so that I had plenty of time to ready breakfast for my love.

I grin at the thought.

My love.

She is mine.

Judas almighty, my love.

I cannot stop smiling at the thought, that is my sole focus while cooking breakfast.

I make something simple; eggs, pancakes, and bacon.

I set Kassandra a plate and think while I wait for her to come downstairs.

But my mind wanders to heaven's threat and I quickly wash my hands and search for a knife.

I carefully glide it across the skin of my hand while whispering an incantation that I know all to well. I summon one of the most formidable demons I know and blow the blood from my hand into the space of the empty kitchen.

I try to do this quickly as I know that my dear Kassandra is still in the shower.

The blood starts sizzling and rises into the air, collecting to form a shape that is all to sinister to any other being, but to me, brings a sense of relief. 

The creature finally forms and I smile at the sight of it.

"Ravanna," it says to me along with a nod.

"Lilith," I reply.

Her face breaks out in a smile and we step towards each other to gather in a hug.

"How is our lieutenant doing - well I assume?"

We release the other and I cannot keep the wide grin off my face. "I am, my queen, I truly am."

She lets a small smile emit from that of her face, "You know that you may call me mother my child, no need to be so formal, I'm not your king, Lucifer."

I smile and reply, "I apologize, mother."

She smiles at my words and says, "I do see how at ease you are in this place, much happier than torturing souls."

I try to be quick with my rebuttal but she beats me to it, "I know that you were unhappy my child. I sensed that you longed for something more and I'm so glad that you've found it."

She moved about the kitchen, peeked with certain interest. 

I am silent for a moment and open my mouth but no words were able to leave.

She sighs, "My child; you are our best soldier, our best defender, our best strategist as well as the best guardian of the gates of hell. You have been nothing but loyal all the years you served us but you were cold and calculating... it was like as if you lost your heart."

I remember how I was. I was a monster that held no sort of compassion, I did what needed to be done but found no joy in it. I was just.... empty and dark, full of hate.

But still she continued, "You were feared amongst all, the three kings help whoever found themselves in your way."

I no longer had that life, I did not have to be that demon anymore. Kassandra helped me find what I thought was lost. "I found it, mother, I found my heart and I found love but..."

"But..." she draws out.

I inhale before I reply, "I am in need of thy help mother, the girl - cor meum - she is in danger."

She nods in understanding, "The halfling."

She pauses a moment before continuing, "Tell me, Ravanna, do you really think that I would not help my greatest warrior on her path to love? That I would just stand aside as heaven rages to kill the very girl that brought my daughter to a life of happiness?"

I almost cry in relief and as she sees this, she gathers me in her arms and holds me tightly.

"Shh, my child, I'm already having all our available brethren watching your love from afar, expect a few new students at that mortal school of yours."

I let out a choked breath of confusion, "But how? Demons' can't appear on earth unless invited."

She nods, "Demons usually can't but just as Lucifer was invited centuries ago, so have certain others'. After all, there are certain loopholes that were begging to be exploited."

I let out a watery laugh as she pulls away and grasps my shoulders, "Fear not, Ravanna, for whoever dare lay a finger on my future daughter-in-law will have the force of hell to face."

"Thank you," I whisper.

She looks at me with a new regard, "You know, in the thousand years that you have served us, we could hardly get you to catch up on the ways that society has changed; the ways that they speak, informations on technology and such but now... well, I'm very proud of the progress you've made."

She and I take a moment, I smile softly. "I suppose I hadn't the reason then."

She laughs softly, "I suppose not."

She looks at me seriously, "I also have not once heard you laugh. It's nice to know that this halfling brings it out of you."

I pause as I process her words and with shock, I realize that she is correct. I smile gently at the fact but frown, "Are you not angry that I fell for an angel?"

My queen lets out an almost monstrous laugh, "Judas no, who do you think I am, god? I am just pleased to see that you are happy with her."

With those words, I hear the door from the bathroom open.

My mother hears it too and I can tell that she wants to meet Kassandra but knows that it's not the right time.

"I guess that's my cue to leave, until next time my lieutenant," my queen says as she parts in a flurry of fire.

Kassandra's foot steps can be heard walking down the stairs and I hurry to clear my face of any left over tears.

I finish just as she steps into the kitchen and once we lay our eyes on each other, I know.

I know that I will do everything in my power to keep her safe.

"You are absolutely beautiful," I say.

She dips her head towards the floor and shyly tilts her eyes up at me.

"You are too," she replies.

I smile.

"I love you."

"Te quoque amo."

I love you too.