Chapter 30

Kassandra's POV

Ravanna was on edge and I couldn't tell what she was thinking, her thoughts were racing and I had no idea how to interpret them.

I kept looking at Allison.

I really couldn't believe that she was one of my best friends. We had always gotten along well, we were always there for each other.

But the things she was thinking....

They didn't make sense.

Yet here she was planning it, planning every last detail. I could see how it was playing out in her mind.

She was going to separate me from Ravanna, come up to me after class saying that she just wanted to talk. Walk me away from the school and silently lead me to a car waiting by the student parking lot. Knock me out and hold me in some kind of building until Ravanna found me.

Then they would kill us both.

Why did she want to kill us?

I didn't understand.

I turned to Ravanna and realized.

She knows something.

What's going on.

Her eyes dart from Allison to me and she looks away, hesitating before she said anything.

I just want the truth, Ravanna.

Her eyes closed and she let out a heavy sigh.

She tugs on my hand, indicating that she wants me closer to her. I comply and rest my head on her shoulder, grabbing her arm and putting it around my waist. She tightens her hold and pulls me as close to her as she can.

I want to tell you, love. It's just a difficult situation and if I tell you.... something could happen and I don't know how you'll react.

I sighed. I want to know, I want to understand what's happening. But if she's scared of how I'll react then maybe now's not the time to question her.

Can we talk about it later?

The tension falls out of her and turns into relief, she nods.

I shall try.

I look over at Allison one more time.

Ok.

I sit up correctly before the teacher scolds me again. I'm just so tired of this, I can never catch a fucking break.

The bell rings and I pack up all my things while Ravanna waits for me. Once I'm done, I grab her hand and start leading us to our next class.

I still remember Allison's plot and try to integrate us into the sea of students, I don't want her to catch up.

It seems to work because I see her getting caught within the crowd, losing sight of us.

I know that I should be scared of what I saw but I'm really just tired, I'm so tired of running, I'm tired of fighting.

I'm tired of just being.

Ravanna's hold on my hand tightens as she knows what I'm thinking and I pull her closer to me while squeezing her hand three times.

I love you.

I'm not looking at her but I can tell that she's smiling.

She squeezes my hand in return, I love you.

I feel a strange calm and excitement wash over me.

She loves me.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that.

"Kassandra!"

I hear my name being called and I feel Ravanna turn around to look at them, she expects me to stop as she slows down but I keep moving, her hand still in mine.

"Kassandra!"

She follows without complaint and takes her hand out of mine, moving it to my waist.

I feel a sharp tug on my left arm, stopping me from moving.

"Kassandra."

I yank my arm out of her grasp.

"Allison."

Ravanna pulls me close and I wrap an arm around her waist while hers goes over my shoulder and I meet her hand with mine, just holding it.

Allison looks irritated at our stance but I don't plan on changing our position.

And just like I saw in her mind, "Can I talk to you," her eyes glance to Ravanna's then back to mine, "privately."

"No."

She continues to look irritated but then her expression turns mischievous and had you not known her, the expression would have just looked kind and polite.

She looks directly into my eyes and asks again, "Please, I just want to talk."

For a moment, her voice echoes within my ears and it seems so loud. I close my eyes for a bit and try to shake myself out of it. I look at her again and she has an accomplished smile on her face and I don't understand why.

Her expression is one of expectation and it somewhat irks me.

I take a deep breath and exhale slowly, then I turn my heel and walk away, making sure that Ravanna is keeping pace with me.

"Kassandra!" I hear her call again and her voice still echoes louder with each step I take.

She just wants to talk.

I have trouble focusing on the direction I'm heading as I continue to walk away. I can barely hear the tardy bell ring over the sound of her voice in my head. I move my hands to my ears and cover them.

She just wants to talk.

I can feel Ravanna's hands on me and even though I can't hear her, I know that she's asking what's wrong. I pull her arms around me and breath in her scent.

She just wants to talk.

While I do, I notice how interesting she smells.

She just wants to talk.

Like smoking wood on a hot summer night. I scold myself on not noticing before. It's so calming and I bury myself into her, placing my face in the crook of her neck.

She just wants to talk.

While we stand like this the echoes softly fade and I can hear myself think.

She just wants to talk.

I wonder if I'm having hallucinations and I don't feel my anxiety spike, I just feel strangely calm.

She just wants to talk.

I lift my head to see Ravanna's worried gaze, one that breaks my heart.

She just wants to talk.

I slowly bring her head towards mine so that I can gently kiss her, to show that whatever came over me has passed.

I kiss her slowly and so carefully, our lips match our pace and it's a type of kiss that makes me feel as if I'm floating.

I slowly pull away, pecking her lips one last time before leaning my head against hers.

I glance around the mostly empty hallway and sigh.

"We're late for class."