wish it were me pt. 2

for prime reading experience, listen to "cherry" by my love harry styles (included above)

*read part 1 first!!!!*

(Timothée's POV)

Sitting on the bench, Y/N looks at me expectantly. After a moment of awkward silence, I finally build up the courage to speak.

"Y/N, I miss you. I miss you so fucking much," I say. She doesn't respond, just looks at me with sad eyes. "I messed up. I messed up so bad. And I regret what I did every second of everyday. Not only because it tore us apart, but mostly because it caused you so much pain and sadness and frustration. And I never intended to ever hurt you that way."

"Timothée, I-" Y/N begins, with tears beginning to fall. "Timothée you broke my heart. When I found out about what happened, it felt like someone ripped my heart out of my chest and tore it into a million pieces right in front of me. You hurt me terribly."

At this point, the tears are now falling down her cheeks. I want to reach over and hold her hands so badly, but I hold myself back.

"I know, I know I did. And it kills me to know that. I truly never meant to hurt you-"

"But you did," Y/N interrupts bitterly, startling me a bit. "Everyone intends to do things, but intention isn't the same as reality."

"I know."

"You know, Timothée, I was so excited about us. You were the first man I've ever loved. You made me feel so happy and confident and comfortable. I could trust you with anything. I even told my parents that I thought you were the one. Seriously. I could imagine you as my husband, as the father of my children. I imagined a beautiful wedding and us building a home and a family together and us growing old together."

When she says that, whatever was left of my heart is completely smushed. To know that this woman was picturing a forever with me, and I just threw it away, is torture.

"And when you cheated on me, I didn't believe it. Everyone who told me, I just ignored them. Because I thought you were so much better than that. You weren't that kind of person. Or so I thought."

"Y/N, you have to believe me when I tell you that I never intended for it to happen. Never in a million years. I woke up the next morning and beat myself up completely for even considering doing something like that. And I know this means nothing and isn't nearly enough for the pain I caused you, but I am so sorry. From the bottom of my heart, I am so sorry for ever putting you in that position."

Y/N just looks down at her hands, her fingers fiddling with each other the way they do when she's upset. Her tears drop onto her hands.

"I still love you, Y/N. I love you more than anyone in the entire universe. You are the first person I think of when I wake up and the last person I think about before I fall asleep. I love you so-"

"Oh Timothée stop!" Y/N interrupts. I stop immediately. "You can't keep saying things like that to me."

"Why not? It's how I feel."

"Because you're breaking my heart, damnit!" She yells. Everyone around us stops in their tracks and looks at us for a moment. "You are tearing me apart with every word you say. I love you too. And there will always be a part of me that loves you so much. But the truth is that you hurt me. I've never felt so betrayed and unloved as I did when you admitted to cheating. As much as I love you, I love me more. I can't sacrifice my own happiness and sanity for a relationship where there isn't trust. Do you understand that?"