retro romance *request*

this was requested by @nocturnalflowers ! hope you like it!

(Your POV)

The year is 1986 and my friends and I are spending the night at our favorite karaoke bar. It's a tradition we have: once a month we'll have a girl's night at this karaoke bar, drinking and singing our hearts out without a care in the world.

Y/B/F returns from the bar with more margaritas for each of us. I drink mine quickly, enjoying the fruity taste. I don't usually drink much, but if I'm going to get up on that stage and sing in front of random strangers, I'm going to need a hell of a lot of liquid courage.

I sip the last drop of my margarita and get up to walk over to the karaoke station, but Y/B/F stops me before I get too far.

"Y/N, wait," she says, slurring her words a little bit. She's definitely had plenty of drinks tonight. "What song are you singing?"

"You already know the answer to that question," I say.

All of my friends groan and roll their eyes.

"Come on," my friend Britney whines, "you always choose Total Eclipse of The Heart. Why can't you change it up for once?"

"That song just speaks to me, okay? I refuse to ever sing another song at karaoke."

"Whatever," Y/B/F sighs, rolling her eyes once more. "I can't even be mad because you're a good singer."

"Pfft, nice joke," I respond. "Wish me luck!"

All my friends cheer me on as I select my song choice on the machine and get up on stage. I adjust the microphone and wait for the music to play.

My eyes scan the crowd in front of me, but I freeze when I saw him. He looks vaguely familiar, but I can't think of his name. He has brown curly hair and a sharp jawline. His green eyes watch me intensely. It feels as if he's burning holes right through my skin.

I'm so lost in this beautiful man's eyes that I don't even realize the music has begun. The only thing that snaps me out of my trance is
Y/B/F shouting my name from her seat.

"Y/N! Y/N! What are you doing? You have to sing, remember?" She shouts.

I immediately snap back to reality, my cheeks burning from embarrassment. Oh God. Of course I would embarrass myself like this when the world's most attractive man is watching me.

I glance over to where he is sitting and notice a smile dancing on his lips. Glad he thinks this is funny.

I quickly compose myself as I see the lyrics flash across the screen. Without overthinking it, I begin singing my song. I start timidly, still feeling embarrassed about what just happened. But as I get further into the song, I can't help but just belt it out. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" really just has a way of moving me.

After I finish singing, the crowd erupts into applause. My friends give me a standing ovation, along with the mysterious man in the corner of the room. I can't help my heart from skipping a little as he sends a charming smile in my direction.

I take a bow and scurry off stage, rushing back to my friends.

"Oh. My. God. You guys I think I'm in love," I say dramatically.

"Huh? With who?" Britney asks.

"Yeah, what did we miss in the five minutes you were up on stage?" Erica, another one of my friends, asks.

"Don't look now, but there's an abnormally attractive boy sitting in that corner over there. He seems so familiar, but I can't put my finger on who he could possibly be," I explain.