SEVENTEEN

I was on fire

I was on fire.. The pain was excruciating but as I go to let out a scream a loud boom stops me. I recognize it immediately, that sound is forever seared into my mind. I could smell sulfur from gunfire and explosives. I felt the heat and humidity.. I heard the shouts of my comrades. Forcing my eyes open I take in my surroundings. The battlefield where it happened.. My heart drops. Then I hear my commanding voice ring out over the gunfire. "Hold your positions!" Fighting through the pain overtaking me I somehow managed to stand. I'd be damned if I didn't go to my team even when that meant reliving this once more. Stumbling over to where they were I slumped beside them. To my surprise they all turned and looked at me with confusion. The me from this memory stayed in her position not looking at me as if she was frozen. I smiled at me team as tears streamed down my face. "Lieutenant?" Zach questioned. "You can see me?" I asked with a strained voice. They nodded. "What's happening?" I realized everything had stopped. It was quiet the only sound that could be heard was the wind. I look at them memorizing the faces I hasn't seen in so long.  "I'm so sorry.." I say a lump forming in my throat. Confusion crosses their faces. "This is a memory.. In my head." I explain. Somehow Zach understood, he always was the smartest. "We're going to die today." It's a painful statement far more painful than what's happening to my body. "I should have known." My voice cracks. "I should have saved you all." Brent my general speaks up. "Lieutenant you can't save everyone we die when we are meant to die. At least we were together." Everyone nods in agreement. Tears stream down my face. "I was so lucky to have you all as my comrades and I want you to know your deaths were not in vain." They all smile with of course a hint of sadness. Moving closer to me they hoist me up so I'm on my knees. I realize what they are doing and we huddle together. Then in sync we speak the words of our creed. "We Are Many Hearts Beating As One, Fighting For Honor And Truth, The Bonds That Tie Us Can Never Be Broken, United We Stand, Together We Stay."  We stay like that for a while some crying some with somber expressions. Then pulling back realize my memory self is gone. Nodding my head and gritting my teeth I stand Zach and the others follow my lead. On the ground lays my gun picking it up I turn to my soldiers. "Are you ready for one last battle boys?" They reply by saluting and I salute them back. "It's been the greatest honor to serve with you all. Let's give em' hell!" The memory unfreezes as we charge forward with guns blazing. I fight hard through the fire consuming my body. By the time it's over the sun begins to rise bringing a new dawn with it. I stand alone in the battlefield and look up to the sky saluting my men one last time. Then closing my eyes I smile softly. The wind begins to fade and is replaced with soft chatter. The Cullen's.... I'm home. I snap open my eyes revealing a new world.