Chapter 4

April 1958

April 1958

I was in such a good mood. Ricky called the night before to insure we had a date for the next night. We were going to be going out alone this time. No best friends tagging along. No cousins. Just the two of us. It was going to be really romantic.

My heart flutters thinking of that simple kiss he brushed on my cheek. My cheeks flush shyly thinking about him. And what might happen tonight when we were out alone. All alone.

I make sure to wear my best dress. One of my baby pink dresses. I add on a purples scarf around my neck. And I curled my hair nicely. Normally it was always curly.

But I wanted this do to look nice all night long. For Ricky. I spritz some more hair spray on my pile of hair on top of my head. I add one more coat of lip gloss on my perky lips.

Then I blot then with a tissue.

♡♪♬♪♡

"Are you ready for your date tonight? Your big date?" teases Mary Ellen.

I nod. "Ricky is taking me to a drive-in movie" I brag. "we can be all alone in his car"

"Sounds steamy to me" she teases.

I blush. "I am hoping it will be"

"If he wants to go all the way are you ready for that?" she worries.

"Mary Ellen!" I gasp.

"Well he is a rock star. And they drive fast as they say. I am sure he has lots of women in his bed. Maybe he expects that on a date" she warns me. "Be ready" she says. "Think hard of what you want" she warns me. "Be safe if you do decide to you know do the deed" she laughs.

"Mary Ellen I am not a virgin" I remind her. "I do not need to go back to sex ed" I laugh.

"I know. But if you get pregnant with his child on this date then he will think you are trying to trap him. You will end up all alone and have a baby to raise" she worries.