The interview

February 22nd 2034

Dianne had been through several more stories of the times that  she and Joe had spent together in the early days of her relationship. Explaining each little detail to the boy in her arms, who was unexpectedly curious about his parents past. At first Dianne had expected Alex to be happy to listen to her ramble on for maybe one or two of her stories, but somehow, with every explanation of a training room, or every recollection of a feeling she got when she looked into her husbands eyes, he seemed to become more and more invested in the pictures before him.

"Wait, why did Daddy think they were going to throw pens at him?" He questioned to make sure he understood the story right.

"Beats me." Dianne said as she shrugged her shoulders at the memory of performing to Joe's old school.

Alex gave a gentle chuckle, "that's stupid!" He exclaimed with a smile.

Joining in with his laughter, Dianne nodded her head. "I know!" She said, causing her son to laugh further.

"So what happened in the next picture?" Alex questioned as he pointed to a picture of  Joe and Dianne smiling next to each other.

"Well, this one is a little different to the others." She began. "Now along with the competition, once a week, we went to a studio in London, and did an interview with a woman called Zoe."

"Auntie Zoe?" Alex questioned, recognising the name of his aunt.

"No monkey. A different Zoe...Zoe Ball. She was the host of a programme called 'It Takes Two' where she interviewed all the couples and asked them how their week was going, and spoke about their performances on the previous Saturday." Dianne paused for a moment, watching as her son nodded in understanding of yet another new concept. "And this photo, was taken when we went to be on the show."

October 7th 2018

"Yes...."

"Alright..."

"Anthony, listen to me..."

"I'm sorry, we just can't keep going like this. You have to understand what I mean..."

"We aren't happy together..."

"Okay. I'll send your stuff back later in the week when I get a chance..."

"I'm sorry... goodbye."

It had been a long time coming, she thought to herself. Dianne and Anthony had been drifting apart for weeks... months even. And she knew that this break up was for the best.

Sighing, Dianne placed her phone back into the pocket of her trousers and wiped the tear that had unashamedly begun to fall down her cheek.

Walking back into the room, the red head caught site of the woman who had urged her to take the call in the first place.

"How was it?" Liv questioned tentatively.

"Quick..." Dianne began in return. "It was the right thing to do though... I didn't love him anymore and it wasn't fair of me to keep him locked up just in case the feeling ever came back."

Nodding in understanding, Liv gave her friend a soft smile. "Well, I'm proud of you either way."

The two women stood there for a moment. Dianne thinking about the past year of her life, and the decision she had made to let it go, and Liv stood there unaware of what to say.

The ginger woman watched as a round of tears began to fall down her friends face. "Oh Di, come here!" She said empathetically as she opened her arms to the tearful red head.