The journey he took

28th February 2019

"Daddy how long until we get there?" 

"Ummm, a little over 20 minutes now Monkey." Joe said as he kept his eyes firmly on the road.

Alex let out a loud sigh as he watched the swift moving traffic on the busy motorway. The journey down to Brighton had already seemed to last forever, and with another twenty minutes added onto that journey, he was certain he was going to go insane with boredom.

Looking over to his sister, Alex looked at the way her fingers tapped gently in time with the music she was playing through her headphones - her head bobbing gently in a repetitive rhythm.

"Why do we even need to go?" He pressed further.

Joe rolled his eyes audibly, "You were excited when I told you we were going to go and see auntie Zoe and and Uncle Alfie... And what about Rosie and Emma?" Joe questioned noting to his two nieces.

"Yeah but their both girls!" He wined.

"So?"

"They're boring and they... they uhh... I don't know but I don't like being the only boy."

Joe laughed gently as he pulled off of the motorway and onto the soft country lanes which lead into Brighton. "What about me and Alfie?"

"I guess... But you're both old." The little boy said nonchalantly with a gentle shrug of his shoulders.

Dianne let out a loud laugh as she caught sight of the shocked expression strewn across her husbands face. Turning to look at her, Joe furrowed his eyebrows slightly and shook his head. "Oh yeah, because you're one to laugh aren't you miss 'I'm 45 in three months time." He retorted sarcastically. A proud smile on his face as he watched the way that her cheeky grin turned into a sad smile at the all to brutal truth.

"Daddy, how long now, I'm still bored?" Alex continued to moan.

"You know he sounds like you when he complains." Dianne interrupted with a sarcastic smile.

Shooting her a subtle side eye, Joe turned his attention onto the little blue arrow that came up on the sat-nav on his phone. "Just keep him entertained for 20 minutes please Dot." He requested bluntly. His patience beginning to wear a little thin.

Turning her body so she was looking around her seat and at the soft features of her son, Dianne shot him a soft smile to gain his attention. "Okay then Mr. Monkey, we've still got twenty minutes 'till we get to Auntie Zoe's, what do you want to do?"

Alex looked down to his lap - his fingers fiddling with a thread which had come lose from his car seat as he shrugged his shoulders gently. 

"Umm... How about a story?" Dianne questioned, instantly causing Alex's bright blue eyes to widen with excitement at the premise of yet another one of his mother's tales.

"YEAH!" He yelled excitably, causing Dianne's heart to swoon at the pure cuteness of the six year old.

"Alright then..." Dianne thought for a moment before coming up with a sweet story from her past. "What about a story which involves a journey, much like this one, but instead was a complete secret to all but one person..."

4th March 2019

"Di, forty minutes until curtain." 

"Alright thanks Aimes." The red head retorted as she plugged her forever dyeing phone into the wall socket.