The letter

19th March 2034

"I still love it over there." Lily said softly, breaking the loving trance which her parents seemed to have been encapsulated in.

"What in Australia?" Dianne questioned as she ran a hand through her daughters brown locks.

"Yeah... I know we only went over there a few months ago, but I miss it."

"Me too." Her mother agreed as a sad smile spread across the Australians features. 

Dianne had been living in the UK for nearly two decades by this point. Yet still not a day went by without her imagining the soft, white sand beaches of her childhood home. The formidable accent and calm way of life of her motherland, still calling for her even after all these years. And the almost non-existent nature of her once thick, noticeable accent, had only added to the feelings of missing home which she had always harboured.

"That's part of the reason I talk to Nanny everyday." The red head continued, a smile returning slightly at the mention of her mother, only to have it instantly wiped off by her sons following words.

"And Pop too." The little boy continued excitably.

"Yeah... Pop too." 

Joe looked across to his wife. The subtle eye movement he made being enough to break his heart. The discussion involving Mark and his health continued to be a very tough thing to hear about for the father of two. His heart continually breaking, and his mind continuing to worry about not only the health of his father-in-law, but also for the elder man's daughter with whom both the men were completely enamoured by.

"Anyway, do you want to hear the next one?" Joe questioned as he looked across to his son. His feet gently connecting with Dianne's under the table as a subtle, hidden form of comfort for the woman he loved.

"Yeah!" Alex cheered his arms instantly flying across the front of Joe's chest as he reached for the book.

"So, what was after Christmas?" Lily questioned. Her attention peaked in a slightly less dramatic way than that of her erratic little brother.

"Well, obviously after Christmas we had New years, which we decided to spend in Australia that year and then after that we - ...."

As her rambling went on, Dianne felt herself get cut off by the sight of the book which rested inconspicuously in front of her son. The page now flipped across to the next open fold. The same pattern of four pictures spread across the double page, however, this time they were slightly obscured by an ominous beige envelope tucked neatly into the inner crease of the page spread.

The edges of the envelope were frayed. The once white cocoon now a gentle cream colour as the the calamities of life had got to it. The top of the envelope held a jagged line across. The rip on the envelope, and the small piece of paper sticking out the top proving to everyone that it had been opened; before being tucked away with the intention of never being seen again.

"Dot?" Joe questioned as he looked at the shocked expression on his wife's face.

"Mummy, what is it?" Alex questioned as his hand slowly reached to pick up the envelope. But before he could get to it, the three of them jumped slightly at the rushed, panicky way in which the red head stood up from her seat - reached across the table - grabbed a hold of the envelope -  and left. Her actions being followed by no words... No resolute meaning... And no understanding for the two young children who sat at the table, both of whom were now utterly confused, and a little scared.

"What was all that about?" Lily questioned, somewhat bluntly, as she stared at the door her mother had just sprinted out of. The gentle sound of her feet carrying her swiftly up the stairs, dissipating as soon as they had started.