Not One Quiet Day

We got married the next day; the next afternoon to be precise. It wasn't spectacular, not like the weddings I've seen in my time in Vergen, where the whole village celebrated the newlywed couple. No, our wedding was small, but beautiful none the less – mostly because of my stunning husband. The only people present, besides Geralt and I, were Jaskier – of course – and the village's major, who wed us.

Geralt had told me to wait in our room while he ran and arranged everything, so – with the help of Jaskier – I prepared our clothes for the ceremony. The bard had insisted on it. I was cleaning the witcher's armour and Jaskier was braiding a flower crown for me to wear. Don't ask me where he learned that! But he had insisted I wore one. "It's an important detail for my song!" he had exclaimed. When I was done with Geralt's armour I pulled an old dress out of my bag. It was the prettiest I owned, from back when I lived with my mother in Dol Blathanna, where it was reserved for only the most important occasions. Today would be one of those special occasions and I wanted to surprise my witcher – something I couldn't do often, because he knew me too well and because of his senses.

The dress consisted of two parts: a white chemise, floor length with sleeves reaching to my elbows, and an over-dress. It was wine-red, the bodice laced up to my hips, loosely falling to my ankles, sleeves laced up from the shoulders to the elbows, the remainder falling open, past my knees. Trim and bodice were brocaded with golden tendril pattern. When I stepped out from behind the curtain that separated the wash-area from the main room, the bard's jaw dropped.

"You think he'll like it?" I asked, feeling self-conscious all of the sudden, fidgeting with a strand of my hair that I decided to wear loose today.

"Like it? He'll love it!" the over-enthusiastic bard cheered, placing the finished flower crown of daisies, buttercups and other colourful flowers he found in the meadow, on my head and lead me to the mirror. "I mean... look at you! He'd be out of his mind if he didn't like how you look now." He paused, letting me take in my appearance in the dull glass. He was right. Without boasting or anything... I looked stunning, the years on the road seemed to be washed away by the bath last night. My hair – I don't know how I did that! – was long and silky, my skin smooth and my eyes glowing like a leaf held against the sun. I faintly heard footsteps coming closer and Jaskier talking again. "Then again, he is a witcher, fighting monsters for money, getting killed on almost every job. Probably he is out of his mind..."

The door opened. "Who is out of his mind?" his deep voice sounded and a smile spread on my face. He was back!

"I'll, uh, leave you two alone," Jaskier said hurriedly as he walked quickly out of the wash-area, past the witcher – not without giving him thumbs-up – and out the door. But he didn't close it. He left it cracked open peeking into the room. I shook my head and giggled a little.

Geralt stood in our room, not moving, waiting for me to show. "I can hear your heart racing, love. There is no need to be nervous." His rumbling voice sounded through the room, calmingly.

"It's a bride's every right to be nervous on her wedding day," I replied, not moving from where I stood. Why was I so nervous to face him suddenly?

He snorted. "Not for a woman who faces monsters almost every day." He had a point.

I took a deep breath and stepped out from behind the curtain, fumbling a little with the flowing sleeves. I eyed Geralt nervously, waiting for any kind of reaction. But none came. He was frozen in place, gawking at me, mouth agape. I giggled, walked over to him, all nervousness forgotten, and lightly pushed his chin up, closing his mouth. He blinked slowly.

"Wow, you look... wow."

I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Time for you to get cleaned up, meleth," I said as I walked over to the bed, sitting down at its foot. I loved watching him put on his armour. Not as much as I loved watching him taking it off, but it was up there. The way his muscles rippled underneath the tight leather jacket, his form – that made me drool – being hidden by the steel-enhanced leather of his armour, making him look even stronger and more dangerous, even though I knew that under all the brute strength there was a little boy hiding, looking for someone to love. He had found that someone.

Once he was done, he took my hand gently in his and led me out the room. Jaskier darted out of his room, his lute in hand, following us down the hallway.

Geralt led the way to the town hall. Inside the major was already waiting, his velvet sash in hand. He told us to kneel in front of him. Geralt held out his right hand, and I laid my left into it, the major wrapping in in the sash.

Jaskier was standing against the wall, covering his mouth with his hands, tears in his eyes, visibly touched by the situation. He was our closest friend during the last few months.

"Lord Geralt of Rivia," the major spoke, his voice official, "Lady Nienna, with the power infested in me by the Gods and the King of Lyria, I thee bind. Lovers, you may kiss to seal the contract."

And that we did. Geralt held the side of my face ever so softly while I rested my hands against his chest. The kiss was deep and sweet and soft, containing all our love. When we finally parted, I had to wipe tears of joy from my eyes. Never had I thought this day would come - not since I had seen how horrible humans could be – that I'd be wed to the man I loved.

With one swift movement Geralt pulled me to my feet and close to him, kissing me again, more forceful this time and I melted.

But we were interrupted by the door bursting open. A young boy –six, maybe seven years old – came running in. "Witcher! Witcher!" the child exclaimed. He was dishevelled, twigs entangled in his hair, and out of breath. He had run for a while.

As Geralt grunted quietly, visibly annoyed that he couldn't spend more time with his newlywed wife, and turned to the child, the boy jumped back, intimidated by the large man in front of him.

I smiled at the boy and fell to my knees. "What is it, child?" I asked in a soft voice, calming him.

He looked at me, eyes wide, as he tried to catch his breath. "M-my father... he was attacked..." the child wheezed out.

Geralt fell to his knees next to me. "Where? Did you see what it was?" he pressed.

The boy cowered away at the urgency in his voice and I held my arms out. The child jumped in there almost immediately. "I-in the forest. I-I couldn't s-see it, bu-but it was big," he stammered out. I gently patted his head as he clutched onto me.

"Go," I told my husband. He got up and reached behind his back, feeling for his sword. But he wasn't carrying one.

"Fuck," he cursed under his breath and ran out the door. I got up as well and followed him, guiding the boy towards the inn.

"What's your name?" I asked in an attempt to distract him.

"Clim," he answered, now shy.

"Where is your home? Should I bring you there? Your mother must be worried sick about you."

"My home is over there." He pointed past the inn. "But the inn is better. Ma died two years ago."

"Oh. I'm sorry, Clim," I mumbled as we reached the inn, just as Geralt darted out the door. I grabbed his arm and whispered into his ear, "The boy doesn't have anyone else."

"Fuck. I'll do my best," he said under his breath.

"I know you will. Be safe. I love you."

And then he was gone, galloping away on Roach. I stood there for a while, staring behind him until he disappeared. This would be our life now. He'd go on hunts while I'd stay behind, maybe even caring for a child someday.

Jaskier was entertaining the boy for as long as Geralt was still visible. When he was gone the bard cleared his throat. I ripped my eyes off the horizon and gazed at him.

"He'll come back."

"I know. It's just... it feels different," I sighed.

Jaskier grinned at me in an attempt to cheer me up. "You know him better than anyone else. You know he'll be fine." He led us into the tavern and while I looked for a place to sit, he ordered a round of ale - and whatever there was without alcohol for Clim.