It Caught Up With Us

Over the course of the next six months, we watched out little one grow. With every passing day, Crevan became more like his father, and this amplified when it was warm enough to go outside with him. Our son loved watching our animals – so far only from a safe distance – and, just like his father, he loved the horses.

In late spring, we decided it was time to introduce the little fox to them. Geralt was more than excited to show his beloved son to his beloved horse, I was too. Roach, Shadow and Daisy had been so protective of me during the time I was still allowed to walk around freely – just kidding, later I really depended on my husband. They were not stupid and tried to support me in their own special way.

The only person nervous about introducing Crevan to the horses was Jaskier. The bard had stayed with us for about a year now, helping and entertaining us – well, me. Geralt still tended to leave the room, annoyed, whenever Jaskier picked up his lute, but I knew that once he was out of our sight, he tapped his toes along to whatever song Jaskier was playing. Crevan loved his Uncle Jas' music, happily cooing when the bard sung (I made sure he was singing appropriate songs around my son!).

So... back to Jaskier being the only one nervous about Crevan meeting the horses. As I mentioned before, our horses – and donkey – aren't stupid, and they know whom we like and whom we don't like. Especially Roach. Having spent decades with Geralt, she knew that – even if Geralt would never admit it – her rider liked to bicker with the bard, and, being the sassy girl she is, Roach had developed a liking in trying to bite the bard – never hard, mostly nibbling – but still... the bard was now wary of the mare. And now he was nervous about her doing the same to his 'nephew'.

On our way out the door, Jaskier was complaining loudly, whining that 'those stupid horses might bite Crevan's tiny hand off!' But we didn't really listen to him, knowing our horses way better than the bard ever could. We didn't worry.

Geralt carried Crevan proudly towards the paddock. After he had found the courage to touch our son, leaving the fear of accidently hurting him behind, he would have him in his arms almost all of the time. The only times when he didn't, was when we were sleeping or when I was feeding our little fox. Even though, sometimes he would hold him even then, having me sit in his lap, both of us cradling our son in our arms.

We reached the paddock, Jaskier keeping a distance between himself and the horses. Shaking my head, laughing, I followed Geralt though the gate, Roach, Shadow and Daisy trotting towards us, curious, yet tentative as to what their owner was holding in his arms – it didn't look like food...

Roach, being the alpha mare, took the lead, sniffing carefully at the bundle in Geralt's arms.

"Hey my girl," he greeted the mare in a rough mutter. She blew her nose in response – careful not to breathe on Crevan – and I laughed, turning to my own horse, who was currently nudging at my now flat belly.

"He's there," I whispered to her, pointing at the little being in my husband's arms. Slowly, Shadow trotted over to join Roach, sniffing at Crevan, who was cooing excitedly. He had seen these horses before, but never from this close.

"Meet Crevan," Geralt announced proudly, watching the mares continuing to sniff our son, whinnying and grunting quietly with excitement. But after a few minutes, it became too much for Crevan, and he started crying.

"Ohh, sweetheart," I cooed, taking him from Geralt's arms, who only let go reluctantly. I took a few steps towards the fence, bringing a little distance between us and the horses, rocking Crevan up and down. At the fence, I turned sideways, holding Crevan on my hip, so both of us could see Geralt still stroking Roach's mane.

"See this brown horse," I asked my son, not expecting an answer, "That's Roach. Mummy's biggest rival," I chuckled, loud enough for my husband to hear; it was mostly directed at him, after all.