You Need Someone To Watch Your Back

Ellina stayed with us for a week. Every day, Geralt and I got up early, prepared breakfast and lunch for both children, saddled all three horses and made sure they got to school safely. It was adorable to watch Crevan and Ellina share Cod, to see how the young girl shyly wrapped her arms around my boy's waist, both of them blushing, unbeknownst to the other. It was also funny because Crevan was slightly shorter than his little lady, but he didn't seem to mind.

The few hours Geralt and I had before it was time to pick the children back up from school, we spent mostly doing our chores, cleaning the house – something that was actually impossible with these two whirlwinds running around. But of course we also spent a little time for ourselves.

Right now, I was cleaning the windows, and almost fell off the little stool I had to stand on to reach the top ones, and I definitely dropped the rag I was using at the sight in our front yard. My wonderful husband was chopping wood. Not that that was special in itself – he had to do that a lot, I couldn't, plus he wouldn't let me – but with the days becoming warmer, the sun becoming stronger and Geralt refusing to wear anything other than black, the hard work quickly made him run hot – hotter than usual. So naturally, he shed of his tunic. He didn't think anything by it, whereas I... Oh, I'd never tire of that view. Quickly, I made my way downstairs and just leaned against the frame of our front door, shamelessly watching his almost comically large muscles ripple with every movement. He had his back turned towards me, but I knew he could sense me just standing there, my eyes never leaving his glorious form.

"You're staring, my love," came a strained chuckle as he brought the axe down yet another time.

"Well, can you blame me?" I just chirped, walking towards the big pile of chopped wood, keeping a safe distance to the still axe-wielding witcher.

"I suppose not," he grunted. With yet another swing, another log of wood was chopped in two, the halves tumbling off the stump. I eyed the pile; it was a lot.

"Minne, I think we have enough for the next few months," I said, taking a brave step forwards, laying a soft hand on the axe, pushing it further down gently. With another step closer, he dropped the axe to the ground.

I let my hands run up Geralt's chest, feeling his muscles twitch at the contact of my – admittedly – cold hands.

"How about I help you get all this in the barn and then you can take a nice bath while I pick up Crevan?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"No," he said firmly, but gave me a smirk.

"Then what?"

"We'll bathe first and then I'll get the logs in the barn while you pick up Crevan."

With that, Geralt swept me into his arms and carried me inside. When he turned towards the stairs, though, I stopped him.

"Hm?"

"I... it's a surprise. Go, I'll be up in just a moment."

"Don't take too long." He leaned down and pressed a kiss to my forehead before turning and walking up the stairs. I quickly went into my potion kitchen and grabbed a few things before rushing up the stairs as well. When I came up, Geralt was already in the bathroom, waiting, in nothing but his skin. I hadn't taken that long!

I hid my hands behind my back, making him raise his brows. "Surprise," I reminded him, "Go wait on the bed, hm? Let me do this for you." I stepped into the bathroom and kept my back close to the wall, not giving him a chance to peek at what I held in my hands.

"Woman?" he chuckled.

"Geralt, please. If you keep that up, I won't be able to join you, so go sit on the bed and wait, alright?" I pleaded. Reluctantly, he stared walking towards the door and stopped right in front of me.