Maybe It Was Fate

The following week, we made our way back north, home. We rode in silence, mostly, and when we talked, we didn't talk about what happened in Cintra. Geralt had said we'd discuss it once we were home, and I'd made damn sure he'd keep his word.

It was still cold in the mountains, and I wrapped my cloak tighter around Crevan and myself. Geralt rode behind us, claimed it was so he could keep an eye on us, but I knew that he did it so he didn't have to look at me, at my petrified face. With his stupid decision, he hadn't only put himself in danger, but also our son, if not the whole Continent. Like the druid had said: he'd unleash destiny's wrath upon all.

My husband was one to talk about reckless actions! A year ago, he yelled at me for racing him and Roach, claiming I was risking the life of our unborn child, even though I was perfectly safe on Shadow's back. And now, he expected me to just accept what he had done in Cintra, when the outcome could be far more dangerous, not only for us but for the whole Continent?!

Luckily, our son was still too young to notice the tension between his parents. Crevan was tied to my chest in his wrap, sleeping mostly, only crying when he was hungry or had pooped his diapers. Those were the only times we'd stop. Clean or feed him. We talked little then, both of us afraid we'd start arguing.

After a week that felt like a whole month, we finally arrived home. I had Geralt go home right away, while I lingered in the village some more, trying to build up the courage to visit Ana, to ask her if she could take care of Crevan, that I needed some time alone with Geralt to sort some things out. But I didn't want to cause her any trouble, they had already taken care of our animals in the last two weeks. Still, I would rather Crevan didn't hear us arguing, whether he understood it or not.

I was standing about ten minutes on the road in front of her house, fighting with myself to go and knock, when the door swung open, revealing my friend.

"Nienna? What are you doing here?" she greeted, already worried. Upon seeing my troubled expression, she pulled me into a hug, careful not to crush Crevan while doing so. "Is everything alright?" she asked after a while.

I shook my head. I was not sure, myself. Was everything alright?

"Can you take care of Crevan? For only a day or two? I need... I need some time alone with Geralt. Something came up and I... I rather keep the little one out of it," I choked out.

Being the good soul she is, Ana took Crevan from me without further questions. Shw only gave me another long hug.

"I hope you two figure it out," she whispered.

"Yeah, I hope that too," I frowned, "Thank you, Ana. You're my saviour right now."

"It's nothing," she smiled at me, pulling back from the hug and squeezing my shoulder. "Now go to your husband and figure out whatever it is between you. Crevan, sweetie, say bye to mummy," she cooed.

I wiped away a tear that managed to spill from my eye and leaned down to press a soft kiss to my son's forehead.

"Bye, little fox. Mummy will get you as soon as she can. Be a good boy, yeah?" I whispered into the soft curls on the top of his head, before turning quickly and mounting Shadow, spurring her to gallop along the road towards our home before I could change my mind.

The whole way I was anxious. Anxious that this would tear Geralt and me apart. Anxious he'd yell at me, knowing full well that he was terrifying when he was angry. Anxious that for the first time, we couldn't figure it out.

When our house came in sight, my heart dropped. It didn't look as welcoming as it had when we left. Despite the fact that it was summer, dark clouds loomed above the forest. A storm was coming. Fitting.