Not A Vukodlak

We walked for two days and two nights. It was winter and bitterly cold. We were both wrapped in our coats and cloaks. At least the freezing caused me to grow numb, the searing pit in my abdomen becoming only a small flame.

On our way down into a miners' town, we came across a pole, a sign nailed to it. 'Temeria: realm of monsters and cowardly kings' it said. Night was falling quickly.

Sitting on a large chest standing against a wall, we listened to a group of citizens, miners, suggesting a strike and to overthrow the king. They didn't notice us.

I rolled my eyes. They could never manage that. Kings had armies, trained to fight. What could a bunch of miners do against them?

Next to me, Geralt spoke up, "You can't kill the vukodlak..." everybody turned around to face him. "So you decide to kill your king? Great plan."

I had to bite back a smile.

"Another fuckin' witcher," a miner spat, literally, "Your kind already swindled us once."

"I take payment after the job is done and for a third of the price. An apology... from my guild... to yours." The witcher's voice was calm, polite, even friendly by his standards.

The miners were doubtful about that suggestion. Finally, one spoke up, "And if you can't kill it?"

My husband's answer made me flinch. "Then I die." He said it like it wasn't a big deal, but deep down I knew it was just a mask he put on for the miners. In the commotion caused by a troop of soldiers marching up, Geralt turned to me, holding my hand gently, hidden in our cloaks. "I won't," he whispered into my ear.

The miners huddled together, raising their tools to use them as weapon.

The soldiers halted, making way for a man – a noble, according to his clothes. "Please," he said, "Everyone, remain calm. Lower our weapons and return to your homes."

We watched the scene.

"Do so quickly and without theatrics... and you have my word that our king will not hear from this treason."

The man who had previously talked to Geralt spoke up again. "Foltest commits treason. He hides in his winter castle as we are eaten." His voice rose with every word he said. The crowd cheered in agreement and anger.

"Mikal was a good boy," the noble said, putting his hand on the man's shoulder, "Revenge will not ease your pain."

The miner grabbed the noble's wrist and suddenly yanked his hand off his shoulder, spitting at the noble's feet.

The guards readied their weapons for an attack, but the noble stopped their action by raising a hand.

"You know nothing," said the miner, his low voice almost threatening, "Of my pain."

He stormed off, mentioning for the others to follow him.

Geralt and I were left alone with the noble and his troop. The witcher next to me sighed. "Does Foltest have a plan?" he asked the noble.

The man didn't answer, instead he spoke to his soldiers. "See this one to our borders. Temeria's had their fill... of witchers."

Geralt lowered his eyes, almost defeated. It broke my heart, seeing people treat him like dirt over and over again; he was the best man I had ever met – if he wasn't I hadn't agreed to marry him. Under my cloak I squeezed his hand reassuringly and we got up, following the soldiers on horses, escorting us out of the kingdom – which desperately needed the witcher.

We walked for some time. It must have been past midnight, when suddenly the horses became nervous. I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach – well, beside the effect of the curse. We were being watched. The riders fell off their horses with a thud, unconscious, their swords clanging on the frozen ground. The horses ran off.