~seven~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

The walk back consisted of Renjun trying his very best to talk to Jeno, and Jeno trying his hardest to brush him off.

The shorter was peppy, asking questions, trying to work out what type of person the younger was. But he was fresh out of luck since speaking to the taller was like talking to a brick wall.

"Where are you going to school after this? Or are you not continuing with school?" The older asked curiously.

"I'm not. Education is...." Jeno trailed off, thinking expensive, but ultimately responding, "Not for me. I want to work and get paid as quick as possible."

Renjun smiled, glad he got an answer at all. "That's cool too. Personally, I don't know what I want to do. But it's always good to have goals like you."

Jeno nodded, still looking straight ahead as the school came into view. Had the ravenette even an ounce of an idea what he was going through, perhaps the questions would have ceased. But Jeno was private, and he knew the older meant no harm.

It just hurt a little constantly being reminded of what a failure he was.

"We're here," the Chinese male finally chirped, stopping in front of the school entrance. He held the bucket of paint with both hands, it being deceptively heavy. Jeno, however, didn't struggle carrying what the juniors had asked of him under his arm.

"So um," the younger began, not knowing how to end the conversation, if that was even what this was. "I'll see you around?"

Renjun smirked, "Of course. We're both on the committee after all. Look," he paused, looking over at the double doors once more before finding his words, "I know you're not a fan of people. One walk with you and it's pretty obvious."

"Really?"

"Really."

Jeno pursed his lips, not having been told that before and not finding himself all that surprised. It wasn't as though he went out of his way to hide his dismissive emotions around people.

"Anyway," Renjun continued, "I just want to say that as your senior I would love to get to know you better. Even if it's a little, you should chat to me some time. I don't bite."

"I don't talk."

"And I don't take no for an answer," he finally wrapped up the conversation, giving Jeno a knowing look before trailing inside and leaving the younger alone.

He wasn't sure whether it was the demanding tone in Renjun's voice, or the way he seemed so sure that they would speak again. But Jeno couldn't help but believe the older.

It felt like he really was stuck on a path where he would meet those two again, and fate wouldn't allow otherwise.

He exhaled tiredly, feeling the hunger settling in yet again. The violent war in his stomach made it feel like it was trying to eat itself.

As he entered the school and attempted to find the juniors, he had to stop for a moment. He leaned against the wall for support as he tried to catch his breath and control his stomach cramps.

I need to find something to eat, he told himself, continuing on his path. Once he found the classroom in need of the supplies, he handed everything to them quickly, muttering soft 'yeah, whatevers' as they thanked him before escaping.

Jeno dragged his feet down the halls moodily. He didn't want to go back and help his class, though he didn't really want to do anything at that point in general. As he wandered past the theatre, he peeped inside, curious to see what was happening.

The stage was all set up. A vision of a starry night was portrayed across the background boards. In the centre of the room, Chenle was checking things off on his clipboard and answering various questions some of the seniors went over to ask him.

"It looks good...." Jeno whispered under his breath. He scanned over the scene once more, this time spotting a familiar physicque.

Renjun walked across the stage with some paint, sitting down cross-legged and facing one of the boards. After dipping his paintbrush into the navy paint, he started to streak it over the weaker sections that hadn't been completed.

It wasn't the fact that he was out of his comfort zone painting that impressed Jeno, but the fact that he was an actor and was willing to help his club do stage design.

He was dedicated.

"Jeno?" Chenle called with a cute smile, "You coming in to help?"

Renjun spun around to see him as well. He too suddenly started smiling.

"Oh, no. I'm procrastinating on going to class. I was just watching," he responds, taking a step back in attempt to leave.

"You should help us," Renjun called over from the other side of the theatre. "I can't paint."

"I can't paint either."

He giggled, "Then combined, maybe something will work?"

Seeing his somewhat excited face made Jeno feel guilty. It wasn't like anyone was looking for him.....but he didn't want to interact.

"I really shouldn't. I'll ruin-"

"Just get over here," the older rolled his eyes playfully, "Paint can be fixed easily. Don't overthink it."

Chenle walked over to push him inside, the older muttering profanities grumpily. "I really don't want to help," he groaned.

The orange haired junior pinched Jeno's side, "Tough luck. This school believes in group work, and you're on the events committee."

That goddamn committee, the teen thought. I'm definitely crossing my name out when this is done....

He stepped over to the stage and crawled up. Renjun offered him his hand, pulling him up. Once Jeno was sitting beside the older, he was passed a brush and told to add a layer to the sky, but avoid the stars.

"I can't believe I was dragged into this...." he sighed.

Renjun laughed softly, "It's fun once you get used to it. It's satisfying seeing it get done."

The dark haired male stared at the other, unconvinced. But something about the way Renjun chewed at his lip while painting carefully gave him a little more motivation to help.

A little....

─────── • ❥ • ───────