~sixteen~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

As Renjun sat on his red duvet, he texted on his phone. His legs were crossed while his back was against the headboard, and there was a white pillow on his lap for him to lean his elbows on. The sky was completely black, the time being somewhere between eleven o'clock and half eleven.

The dim light radiating from the light bulb above him did its best, and the desk stacked high with books stood in the corner of his room, all homework finally completed.

He sighed tiredly while reading two messages he had received, each from different people.

Mark;
Guess what! I'm coming over to yours next weekend!

The Chinese's breath suddenly hitched with excitement, not having seen his childhood friend in about three or four months.

He quickly messaged back, feeling bad that the older had texted him over an hour ago. He had been waylaid with work.

Renjun;
Oh my god, that's amazing!

Did your parents already talk to mine?

Cause they didn't say anything to me!

He flicked off that chat, and was surprised to see the other message was from Jaemin.

"He doesn't usually talk, unless there's something up....." Renjun murmured to himself, checking what the younger had to say.

Jaemin;
I feel like we should make a group chat, the three of us. But stupid Jeno doesn't have a phone :( We should get him one...

The brunette tilted his head in thought, loving the idea of establishing a line of communication with Jeno, but thinking it would all be very difficult.

There had to have been a reason he didn't possess a phone, right? No teenager in this day and age went through life without one......

Dwelling on it a little further, Renjun decided that before lashing out and getting a flash phone and surprising the younger, they needed to first figure out his logic behind not having one. He didn't seem like the type to just 'not want one'.

Renjun;
I think we should ask him why
he doesn't have one...

What if it's an electricity thing
or something?

With that he switched off his device and scooted down further on his bed to lay his head down and get comfortable.

The room was eerily silent for a while, only Renjun's light breaths and his soft beating heart could be heard before his phone, which he had left laying on his chest, vibrated.

Picking it up slowly, the teen checked who it was. He viewed a text from Mark, simply informing him that the whole thing was technically a 'surprise' and that he couldn't wait to tell him.

Renjun chuckled to himself, wishing the older a good night and switching off the light before sliding into bed.

The next person to interrupt his restful mood was Jaemin. But this time, his device buzzed from an incoming FaceTime. He buried his cheek in his pillow, yawning and picking up.

Realising that his room was pretty dark, Renjun flicked on the switch of his bedside lamp and saw the blonde in his own room on the screen.

"Hey," Jaemin signed, smiling cutely and for no apparent reason, sending a fluttery feeling to the Chinese boy's stomach.

Renjun sat up, leaning his phone against his lamp stand and crossing his legs once again to face him. He had use of both his hands now. "What's up?"

Jaemin thought for a moment, scratching the bridge of his nose and looking sleepy. "I want to know what's up with Jeno. Like....what's he hiding from us? What's in his house?"

Renjun groaned, "But he wouldn't let us see, remember? You asked like, two days ago."

The older was finding his focus to dwindle at the late hour, and he hadn't properly exercised sign language in a while. The reason he was using it was because he didn't want to wake his parents up.

"But he's so secretive!" The blonde huffed, pouting cutely.

"Well so are we. We each have a secret."

"I know, but still.....his affects us more than ours do."

Renjun nodded to himself. None of them had actually invited each other up to their houses. Maybe Jeno was more so nervous, than secretive.

"Maybe," the older suggested, "He needs a reason to. I'll invite you both up on Friday, kay? Then you invite us up another day, and it'll be his turn next."

Jaemin clapped his hands as an applaud, "Good idea. I'll ask my mother."

With that, a plan had been set. Renjun wasn't actually doubting Jeno, but he was definitely curious. The younger kept more to himself than he disclosed to his 'friends', or so Renjun hoped they were.

While staring at the blonde for a little while and seeing his toned frame suddenly dressed in a loose tank top with shorts, Renjun chewed the wall of his cheek. He wondered what the younger's room looked like, what kind of person he was and how it reflected on his surroundings.

Renjun was a romantic sort of person, so he had aesthetic photos and a red and pink colour scheme around him. He liked things neat and tidy...so what was Jaemin's room like?

The taller suddenly started signing again, a cute smile gracing his features, and the older could admire his straight and white teeth. "You said you knew sign language because you have a deaf friend, right?"

"Yeah?"

"Introduce us sometime. I love meeting people who have issues like me. It's easier to bond."

Renjun scoffed, "Stealing my friends now?" He joked.

The younger winked, poking his temple as if to say, "Would I do that?"

The Chinese sighed, shaking his head and not being able to suppress a giggle. Jaemin laughed as well, waving goodbye and leaning in to turn off the call.

Renjun gasped when he saw the shirt shift on the younger and expose his chest. His perfect collar bones and muscles were on show before he blew the older a cheeky kiss and ended the call.

Renjun fell back onto the duvet, heart racing and cheeks burning. Even if he had always been interested in boys, he was too self conscious to ever explore it. That was basically the first glimpse at a guy's body he had ever experienced.

He slapped his cheeks to snap out of it, telling himself that Jaemin was his friend, and not way more appealing than he had ever imagined.

"Dumbass," he groaned, rolling over and whining into his pillow.

─────── • ❥ • ───────