~thirteen~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

It didn't take long for school to end, which surprised the three boys. Jaemin was extremely enthusiastic about getting to know the pair better since he was picky about who he interacted with. He wasn't all that awkward though, just picky.

Renjun as well felt nervous butterflies at the mere idea of spending an afternoon with the other two. Popular as he may have been, he was used to having his way.....and Jeno just wasn't prepared to give into him. This was his chance to completely corner the stone cold younger and virtually use Jaemin's help to 'have him' for lack of better words. In simpler terms, Jeno wouldn't accept friendship without a fight.

The said tallest wasn't exactly against spending time with them both, but he did have his reserves. Something made him feel like he was betraying himself when willingly accepting the invitation. He had no excuse to escape with that either would accept.

So as the small group strolled down to the cafe that happened to be beside the shop where this all began, each pushed all thoughts aside and focused on the present.

"There's a free table over there," a friendly barista pointed to a window seat while standing behind the coffee machine.

Jaemin pushed the older two towards the table, typing on his phone before they sat down, 'I'm going to get the drinks.'

Renjun pouted, "I said I would."

The blonde smirked, showing him the screen again, 'You can get the next ones, yeah?'

"Kay."

Jeno just sat silently, watching people walk past the window, going about their daily lives. He never did this, even when his mother was still alive. He never had money to simply sit and enjoy a hot drink.

"Hey," Renjun touched his wrist which was resting on the oak table. "You okay? You're spacing out."

Jeno nodded slowly, trying his best to shake off his 'never done this before' face. "I'm fine. What's up?"

The older beamed, sitting back and crossing one leg over the other. "Nothing's up. But I do want you to interact with us once Jaemin gets back. I think it's fair to say that good relationships start with being honest."

The younger gulped, not liking the sound of that. Renjun was like a cat with his claws on the other's throat, knowing exactly what the problem was but wanting his victim to say it outright.

"I'm not bad a talking to people," Jeno lied, dragging his hands off the table and resting them on his lap. Jaemin returned and sat down on the seat between them. Renjun was beside the window on the round table while Jeno was opposite.

"Have I missed much?" That awful electric voice questioned from Jaemin's device. He really hated it with all his being, but he knew it was easier than making the two constantly read small text.

"Nope. Just saying that we should start by being honest. Telling each other stories won't work. It never has for me anyway," Renjun responded with a polite smile.

Jaemin nodded slowly, typing again. "The reason I'm mute is something I won't lie about, but won't talk about yet. Deal?"

Jeno gasped, "You aren't incapable of speech?"

The younger shook his head, making an 'x' with his index fingers over his mouth. Renjun sighed and realised what he meant.

"You've chosen to hold your silence."

Once the blonde nodded, things made a little more sense. Jeno and Renjun had always assumed he had some sort of speech problem, never considering the fact that he could've been selectively mute.

"Okay, so that's something we'll learn along the way," Jeno noted aloud, "I'd like to add to that list that my family history isn't a sweet story. That's something I have to work up to...."

Renjun gave him a thumbs up, Jaemin too appreciating his wishes. The oldest tilted his head, "Then I suppose I should add a secret to the pile, giving us one thing each we need to earn knowledge to."

The pair nodded in agreement, so Renjun continued, "I'm somewhat friendly with most people in school, right?"

"Yeah," Jeno responded.

"Well, there's something I haven't even told my best friend yet. I guess you two would be interesting secret holders."

In truth, there was a lot of faith being exchanged between the three. Jeno, Jaemin and Renjun weren't entirely sure how far they could trust each other yet, but they wanted to. For some unknown, crazy yet believable reason, they wanted to trust each other.

There was something about making new and intensely close friends that made life a little easier. Unlike the friends Jaemin and Renjun had made, who assumed they knew all about them.

Jaemin couldn't admit to them that he had been sexually abused as a child, Jeno didn't want to confess to being an orphan with no stability, and Renjun couldn't bring himself to tell anyone about his interest for boys. Even his parents, who worshiped the ground he stood on, didn't know.

With these three facts being withheld, the boys started their conversation. All they needed was a starter topic, and they were away.

"Okay, so I definitely think we should start with general interests. There has to be at least two of us with the same loves. Like films, or animals, or long walks or something," Renjun raised an idea.

Jeno smiled at the idea, "I do like walks when I'm not hungry. Which isn't very often...."

Jaemin created a dialogue for the digital voice, "I love long walks and movies. But my favourite thing to do is art." With his last sentence, he looked over at Jeno with a knowing expression.

The older didn't pick up the meaning behind it, which was probably for the best. Jaemin didn't want to come of too strong and say 'well actually, I've been painting you from memory'.

Renjun chuckled, "Art, huh? I'm not great at art. But you'd definitely fit right in with the stage design club. We'd see each other all the time then."

The youngest winked, not needing words to express that he'd love to join that club.

It wasn't so hard to continue chatting like that.

─────── • ❥ • ───────