~thirty one~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

Jisung stood with Chenle near the fifth clue checkpoint. The pair kept messing around, only to get serious when someone asked for help.

The moon was now edging further and further into the sky, creating a beautiful atmosphere with students using their phones as flashlights and laughter coming from every direction.

"Ah, I knew this would be fun," Chenle giggled, dodging Jisung who continuously attempted to tickle him. "You were so sure it'd be boring."

The younger scoffed, "It's only fun 'cause you're here. I swear, I would've gone home by now if we weren't partners."

"Such a sour puss."

"Shut up."

The bright orange haired male continued to laugh, finally getting caught by the other and getting lifted into a tight hug. "Jisung! Don't drop me!" He yelped, gripping the older's shoulders nervously, though the smile on his face never faded.

Jisung couldn't help but watch his expression while the moonlight illuminated his skin. The older was so pretty, and the pinkette just couldn't get enough.

"You stare at me an awful lot," Chenle finally pointed out, pinching the younger's sides and forcing him to release him gently.

Jisung sighed, "Do I? Didn't think you even noticed."

The older pursed his lips, turning away and taking a few steps towards the direction of the moon. In truth, he knew how Jisung felt. He just wasn't sure how strong it was. But after acting oblivious for three years, he guessed the younger wasn't messing around.

"Y'know.....I feel bad for those three. Jeno, Renjun and Jaemin..." he murmured, looking at a random pair of juniors trying to read a map.

"Why?" The pinkette enquired behind him, stretching out his arms. Chenle only breathed in, wondering if tonight would be the night he would let it all out. Or perhaps, encourage Jisung to ask him that question.

"They have this horrible little triangle going on. We can both see as outsiders, that each of them like each other. But two are convinced they love one person.....but can't see each other staring one another in the face."

"Are you saying Jaemin and Renjun can't tell they like each other?"

"Mmm, I guess so. It's how it looks to me, anyway. Personally, I believe Jeno needs to grow a spine and make a decision. He's only hurting them by turning away and pretending nothing is happening."

"Wow," Jisung whistled, "I smell hypocrisy."

Chenle laughed out loud, finding his words hilarious. "I'm a hypocrite? Really?" He spun around, facing the taller and smirking mischievously, "For us, there's one major issue. Ignorance."

"I'm not ignorant...."

"We both are, don't you think? I've been friend zoning you for three years, and you haven't even worked up the courage to ask me out. If we aren't ignorant, then please describe to me what we are."

Jisung swallowed hard, eyes widening at the older. This was the boldest he had ever seen him. But what he wanted to know though couldn't exactly ask about, was whether this was Chenle asking him to do it. Implying that it was time to move forward.

"Do you think they'll make it to the end?" Jisung eventually whispered, though loud enough for the other to hear. "I think Jaemin will make life difficult for Renjun....before things can really start."

Chenle nodded slowly to himself, biting the wall of his cheek and raising his shoulders just to slump them back down in a dramatic shrug. "Maybe. The three of them won't know until they say something."

Jisung started to smile, starting to walk slowly and cautiously around the ginger, "So, imagine I said I liked you, and haven't seen you as a best friend for the past three years now. Imagine that I've grown up more than you've realised."

The older arched his brow knowingly, watching as the pink haired teen circled him. "Go on."

"Is it possible for a friend to date a friend? Don't those relationships usually fall to shit?"

"It's a risk some are willing to take..."

"So....are you willing to risk it?"

"Depends on who asks."

"Then, will you go out with me?"

Chenle couldn't hold his smile back any longer, covering his face with his hands and chuckling lightly. "Took you long enough."

Jisung stepped over to him, leaning in and pulling his hands down. "Is that a 'yes'?"

"Of course it's a yes, Idiot! I like you too!"

Both burst into laughter, holding onto each other for support and realising how silly they sounded. Chenle leaned against the taller's chest, feeling him wrap his arms around his waist and lean his chin on the top of his head.

A couple of students who wanted help were about to wander over, but Jisung glared at them, sending them away with his eyes. There was no way he was going to let some random strangers interrupt his moment.

.........

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!" Jeno whined, waving his hands and trying to pick the plant out of his hair.

Jaemin snickered at his suffering, pulling the older's head over to help him detach the twig that had gotten caught up in his hair when he walked under a low branch.

Renjun shook his head in disbelief. "You two are idiots. It's official." Though he still wandered over to help them out. Jaemin's fingers were bigger than Renjun's and weren't as delicate. So he stopped to watch the older work his magic.

Jeno groaned, "Is it out yet? I can feel my scalp throbbing."

"Cut your hair then!" Renjun rolled his eyes, picking the stick out and kissing the younger's head better. "There, all done."

"Did you....." Jeno stood up to his full height, "Kiss my head better?"

Frowning, the oldest suddenly realised what he had done and blushed. "Oh my god, sorry. It's something my family do, even at this age, y'know? We kiss each other's injuries better."

Jaemin watched his lips closely, suddenly remembering the kiss from that night all over again. He ruffled his hair frustratedly and winced, looking down at his finger.

There was a small cut from a sharp point on the twig in Jeno's hair. Obviously his non-delicate methods of trying to get it out had landed him an annoying wound.

"Oh, you too huh?" Renjun giggled, grabbing the blonde's hand and inspecting the damage. He sighed and shook his head, "I'm not biased." Pressing a gentle kiss to the cut, he then gave his hand a small reassuring squeeze.

The oldest hadn't realised the effect of what he had done. The way Jaemin's heart pounded like crazy or how Jeno's nagging jealous feeling returned.

The three really were in a sad little love trap, and without talking it out, they would remain feeling this way.

─────── • ❥ • ───────