~nineteen~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

During class, Renjun leaned boredly against his palm which was propped up by his elbow against his desk. Simultaneous equations weren't the height of interest to him.

So as he gazed out the window, sort of daydreaming about Jeno and Jaemin, sort of concocting a plan, he didn't notice the kick to the back of his chair the first time.

By the third time, he sighed and turned to the culprit, which happened to be Haechan.

The younger mouthed the words 'look at the board', and so Renjun nervously flicked his sights to the front of the room.

The teacher had his arms folded and the whole class was looking at him. The brunette swallowed harshly, blinking once before muttering out an apology.

"Please pay attention Huang Renjun, you're usually not like this so I'll let it slide," the older man warned him.

Renjun nodded slowly, sitting back and trying to focus again. But he couldn't.....not when he now knew Jeno's problem.

His phone vibrated against his thigh, and he almost had a miniature heart attack. Luckily, nobody noticed, so he subtly slid it out of his pocket to take a look.

The message was surprisingly from Jaemin, who definitely had class as well. Pursing his lips, he opened the text and took a look.

It read; If anything is going to change for Jeno, we'll have to initiate it. I don't know about what you're thinking, but I believe we need to get him out of that house first.

Renjun thought about it for a moment, knowing that moving the younger to a safer location was the wisest plan. But how? It wasn't like they were adults with a whole heap of abilities.

'I agree, but how?' He ended up texting back. His first and foremost thought was 'my parents would let me live with him'.

Did that make a difference? Would Jeno even accept company, what with the terrible trust in humanity he had.

Jaemin left one last text before switching his phone off. 'Meet me in the bathrooms before break. We have to be faster than Jeno.'

Renjun pouted, hoping this would all work without it backfiring greatly. As long as they didn't slip up and accidentally inform Jeno before they had a logical plan...then it would be fine, right?

He too switched his phone off and continued staring at the front of the room but not truly listening to what was being said.

.......

Jaemin leapt up from his seat as soon as the bell rang. Jeno stretched out his arms in front of him, turning around to say something.

"I need to go to the principle's office," he admitted tiredly.

Jaemin stopped what he was doing momentarily to frown in question. He typed out his thoughts to show the older, 'Why? Are you in trouble?'

"Oh, not really. I can't go on the school trip for reasons you and I are both aware of. I need to explain why I'm skipping."

Jaemin's heart sank, not having realised there was a trip since he had been away the whole year. But now that he did know, he was deeply disappointed the older wasn't able to attend.

'You have to go....'

Jeno ruffled his hair, gathering his things and giving the blonde a solemn smile, "I would've liked to now that you and Renjun are with me. Too bad I'm not actually capable of paying."

With that the brunette wandered out, hurrying to the office to get it over and done with. Jaemin stood there for a moment, deep anger and regret fogging his vision.

This was his first term at school, and out of the two people he wanted to spend his time with, one of them couldn't make it to something as important as the school trip. He saw all kinds of shows and heard all kinds of things about field trips in high school. Jeno had to go.

Realising he was wasting time by standing around, the blonde quickly grabbed all this things and dashed out of the room.

He sped down the corridors, not bothering to put his books in his locker before making his way down to the boys bathrooms.

Once he pushed the door open with his shoulder and stumbled inside, he could already see Renjun leaning against a sink, facing the cubicles.

Jaemin froze for a moment, taking in the older's profile and feeling like he had never seen something before. There was a different air around the Chinese male, or he was in a different mood. Whatever it was, he couldn't tell.....but kind of liked it.

'Sorry I took a while. We have a bit of time since Jeno is with the principle,' he wrote on his phone.

Renjun glanced at the words then turned to him, shooting him a quizzical look, but not asking since Jaemin waved his hand dismissively.

"Anyway, what do you think we should do?" The brunette enquired, "I personally can't see how we can do much without help from adults."

The taller switched to sign language, almost forgetting he only needed his phone when Jeno was present. "Exactly. I know my parents wouldn't mind helping since they worry about me, and kids like me. Our friend is closer to danger than I am.....so I know they'll help."

The older pictured his own parents and felt that with their carefree nature and how they pretty much abided by any of his requests....they may have given a hand as well. "Okay, mine might be able to help as well. But in the end, it isn't like we can force Jeno into anything. If he says no, then there's nothing we can do."

"Catch him when he's weak," Jaemin smirked, his little dark streak coming through in his desperation. The common link Renjun and Jaemin both had, was their ability to get what they wanted when they wanted.

Jaemin was spoiled since everyone wanted him to speak again. They all tried everything to please him. Renjun was spoiled since his parents often went away for short periods of time, making it up to him by showering him in gifts and affection.

Both were brats.

"I'm feeling a sleepover coming on," the oldest raised his brow, reading the younger's mind too easily.

Jaemin smiled to himself, excited to see how this would all play out. "Sounds easy enough, right? It's about time I invited people up."

Both shook hands as a sort of agreement. Each with Jeno's wellbeing in mind.

─────── • ❥ • ───────