~seventeen~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

Jeno wandered up to school on a particularly nice day, and was in a better mood than usual. He had managed to buy not only some bread for breakfast, but jam as well. For once, he had money left over after paying the bills for the complete dump he lived in.

He found himself humming a song he had forgotten the name of. His stomach wasn't killing him and the sun wasn't baking him nor was the wind cutting him in half. All in all, he had much to be thankful for.

So when none other than Na Jaemin bounded over to him from the street kerb to engulf him in a painfully tight hug, he wasn't as angered or annoyed by it as he usually would've been.

"What's up?" The older asked, regaining his composure as well as peeling the muscular teen off. It was so very difficult fighting someone who was clearly stronger.

Jaemin grinned excitedly, "I have a question for you. It's something that bothers me..." his phone spoke monotonously. He had gotten more comfortable with using the voice only around the older pair.

Jeno hummed, informing him that he was indeed listening. Though in all honesty, he wasn't a fan of questions since they led to personal answers.

"So," the blonde's device began, "Renjun and I talk on the phone sometimes, using messages or FaceTime. But I never get to chat with you on your own. Why don't you have a phone?"

The older cringed, subconsciously scratching behind his ear and trying to come up with a decent excuse. This was always the hard part.....trying to say 'I'm too poor' without the other party starting to pity him.

It wasn't as though they were blissfully unaware. He knew they knew he was tight on money. But they didn't know just how bad his glum situation really was.

"I-I can't really afford one. I don't have a lot of people to contact anyway," the brunette tried to be as honest as he could. The others were clearly trying their best for him, and he hated being a closed book.

Jaemin pouted, typing the words out for the phone to read, "But everyone has a phone. Don't you feel excluded?"

The older shook his head, "Not really. Honestly, I'm fine. I guess it's you guys who'd suffer more than me.....since I can't meet up with you all the time."

Jaemin gritted his teeth, his 'playing nice' obviously having no affect. He would have to be a little more pushy if he was going to get his way.

"I would get one for you."

"No way, not necessary," Jeno panicked, "I don't want anything from anyone. I-I can't even pay for electricity, let alone phone bills-" he quickly covered his mouth, his heart dropping at the realisation of what he had said.

In that sentence alone, he had made it clear he paid the bills. A teen in high school. He had also made it clear that he was working and couldn't afford to live, let alone study and pass. Another hint Jaemin, as observant as he was, caught was that a parent was either in dire need of their own child's earned money....or they didn't exist at all.

The blonde's eyes narrowed, eyeing Jeno like a butterfly he desperately wanted to catch. "Can't afford electricity? So....no television? No chargers? No......hot water?"

Jeno bit the wall of his cheek, starting to feel actual fear well up inside him. He didn't tell anyone those things for a reason. He didn't want to be manipulated or hurt.

"Jaemin...." he began wearily, "I am literally begging you here. Don't tell anyone."

The younger snickered, poking his cheek and mouthing 'I can't actually speak, dummy'.

The brunette still wasn't humoured. He started to feel seriously warm from anxiety and was beginning to struggle breathing. "I-If the teachers find out I'm in trouble, they'll find out I don't have parents....I work.....I-I'm starving. I'm so fucking screwed...."

Jaemin quickly realised his error. He never breeched the subject with manipulation in mind. He simply wanted to establish online communication with the older.

He quickly typed out on his phone, "Wait! I'm not trying to expose you here. The more you say, the more I'm learning. You do realise that, right? I didn't know....."

Jeno took deep breath, his air getting caught in his throat and mind getting foggy. It was like a dizzy spell after a heavy nosebleed or spinning.

Jaemin tried to continue, "Jeno, you have to listen to me. Those things you were saying, they're terrible. You can't keep living like that."

"Don't tell anyone!"

"I won't....but you have to let me help you. I saw your house the other day, but totally by accident." The Young boy gulped, hoping he wasn't stepping over any invisible line, "It's not in liveable condition. You'll get sick."

"I am sick Jaemin. I'm so goddamn sick all the time. I don't have anything to eat. My uniform is a mess, my books are trashed, there's barely enough water to live on let alone wash with." He paused, looking down af his feet and feeling somewhat relieved to get those worries off his chest for the first time after his mother had died, but also feeling regretful for saying anything at all. "I don't even think I'll make it through the year. When she died last year, Mum......I thought I'd follow her shortly. But it's been ages. Why am I still here?"

Jaemin started to tremble, his hands shaking slightly and he didn't realise the cause until the backs of his eyes started to burn. He and Renjun hadn't a single clue how truly horrible his life was, and they thought they could make it better so easily. Without really knowing anything.

He couldn't bring his hands to type out anymore sentences. Instead, he wrapped his arms around the taller in a more friendly, comforting hug than the previous one.

He felt bad.

He wanted to say something. Anything. But alas, his vocals were like new violin strings.....utterly useless without a sticky layer for grip. A dry, air like noise escaped, and Jeno frowned, pulling away to look at him.

The taller realised the other was crying. His red eyes and pink cheeks gave it away. "Did you just try to say something?"

Jaemin shrugged, not even sure since he wasn't aware what he even wanted his first words to be. He just wanted to make the other feel better.

Jeno ruffled his hair, shaking his head and blinking once or twice to snap out of the atmosphere they had both created. "It's fine. I guess....this can be our little secret? Renjun will only try to help me."

Jaemin shook his head, stepping back and typing, "I'll be trying to help as well. There's no way I'm leaving you on your own anymore. But don't worry, I won't tell anyone else. Maybe Renjun...."

Jeno rolled his eyes, turning to continue his journey to school, "How fabulous," he groaned sarcastically.

─────── • ❥ • ───────