~thirty seven~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

School was the same as ever. Jaemin would gaze longingly at Jeno's back during class while the other didn't even notice. Renjun was constantly followed by random friends who wanted to hang out. Chenle and Jisung would sit with them at lunch every now and then. Though, the fact that they were dating did get Jeno's mind thinking.

He would stare at Renjun sometimes, wondering what would have happened if he had interrogated him further that night. Maybe questions like 'how do you know you like me?' or 'is loving someone worth it?' would've cleared a lot of grey area for him.

Again, his eyes were locked onto the Chinese as they sat at the canteen table.

Jaemin was fighting off Haechan, who had decided to join them, while the older pinched his cheeks annoyingly.

Chenle and Jisung were lost in their own conversation while Renjun was trying to convince Haechan that he would regret pissing Jaemin off.

Jeno stared and stared and stared. The older didn't look any different. So why did books always describe someone in love as 'glowing'? It just didn't make any sense.

"Careful," Chenle chuckled to the brunette, "You might make him explode with how hard you're looking."

Jeno blushed, "Oh, sorry. I didn't realise I was even doing it."

The ginger tilted his head questioningly, having Jisung's arm thrown around his shoulder. "You've been doing it for like, a week now. What's up?"

The others at the table weren't aware that Jeno and Chenle were talking, so the older took this as a good opportunity to find answers to some questions he had.

He leaned over the white table slightly, since the pair were sitting opposite him. "You two love each other, right?"

Jisung scoffed, "Of course. We wouldn't be dating if we didn't."

Chenle smiled excitedly, "Does this mean you like someone then?"

"Well.....I don't know. Renjun," he paused, wondering if it was a bit mean outing the other like that. Jaemin had been introducing him to dramas lately, and the characters always got mad when someone shared who liked who.

But Chenle and Jisung were gay as well.....so maybe they could help?

"Renjun confessed to me about a week ago."

The younger Chinese squealed and clapped his hands, earning a silent 'shhh' from Jisung who nervously glanced at Renjun. The oldest was still chatting away to the others.

Chenle pursed his lips, trying to hide his joy. "What did you say back?"

"I told him I wasn't sure. I didn't know what to say."

Jisung slapped his forehead with a light groan. "Idiot."

"What?" Jeno pouted, hoping he hadn't made some monumental mistake.

The youngest continued, "He's probably smiling through the pain right now. Did you give him false hope? Or turn him down properly?"

Jeno's heart started to race, his insecurities surfacing again. "I-I said maybe I'd be able to return the feeling someday. But it's not like I don't feel that way. I just don't know what it is I'm feeling!"

"Calm down," Chenle murmured, seeing Haechan grow curious, but divert his attention back to Jaemin who kicked his ankle. "But Jeno, that's dangerous. Renjun has competition and everything."

"Huh?"

"Shit," Jisung hissed, "He didn't need to hear that. Don't make things worse," he informed Chenle worriedly. The last thing they wanted was for Jaemin to get stirred into the mix of Jeno's wild insecurities.

"What competition?" Jeno asked once more. "Guys, am I missing something?"

The pair in front of him suddenly let their eyes travel above his head and watch quietly while two arms draped themselves around Jeno's chest, a head of blonde hair resting on his shoulder and giving him a heart attack.

"Wah!" He yelled out, eliciting giggles from everyone around the table. "J-Jaemin, don't do that. You've just knocked ten years off my lifespan."

The younger laughed, standing up straighter but leaving his hands on the older's shoulders. He signed to Renjun who translated with a soft smile.

"He said he's being bullied by Haechan, and that he wants you to step in, Jeno."

The brunette snickered, "Jaemin, you're literally stronger than most of us here. I'm weaker than you, and you want me to help?" He tilted his head back, looking up at Jaemin who was looking back down at him with some indescribable expression.

The blonde's hair was hanging over his eyes softly, and he was chewing at his lower lip. The way the lights on the ceiling caught him, made him look like an ethereal being.

Stop it, Jeno pleaded in his head, you're making my chest hurt and butterflies erupt.

Chenle flung a piece of rice at Jeno's face and snapped him out of his daze. "Earth to space cadet," he called, "Flying a little close to the sun, don't you think."

Renjun stood up quickly, a blank expression adoring his usually happy face. "I-I'm going to the bathroom. See you guys later."

With that, he stormed out, starting to jog once he reached the double doors. Jaemin frowned, getting ready to follow him though being pulled back by Jisung. "Not you," he muttered into the blonde's ear.

Jaemin scowled, trying to pull out of his grip while Chenle pulled Jeno up, pushing him towards the door. "He's jealous, Jeno. Fucking man up and set things straight!"

Without understanding what was going on, and feeling his chest tighten at the hurt look Jaemin was wearing, he froze up. His muscles ached all of a sudden like they were telling him 'stay still, you coward'.

But he wanted to be better than that. He knew he could be better than that.

Without hesitation, and purely on adrenalin, Jeno reached out and grabbed Jaemin by his wrist. The younger gasped, falling out of Jisung's grasp and into Jeno's chest.

"This isn't just my job," the brunette informed them strongly, "Whatever is happening to us, it's all three of us."

Jaemin had no idea what was happening, but didn't fight back as Jeno yanked him towards the exit of the canteen and towards the bathrooms.

He was right.

Their emotions were in too much of an entangled mess for this to be any one of their faults.

─────── • ❥ • ───────