three

"trust could end up you causing you
your life."
__________

IVORY WATCHED in horror as Ryan collapsed onto the ground, the bullet lodging itself in his chest. Her ears rang loudly, the woman's breathing becoming erratic as she registered what had just happened in her mind. But she couldn't. She just stood there, in complete shock over her client's body.

"Ivory!" Spencer's voice snapped her out of her trance, the woman feeling her heart slowly sink. "Are you hurt?!" He grabbed her, examining the woman for injuries.

"Why—why did you shoot—" Ivory breathed out, her throat closing up.

"We had to." Spencer said, turning her away from his dead body; his hands lingered on her biceps, gazing down at her with a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry."

"Did...I do that? Was that my fault?" She asked, her mouth still hanging open. Ivory felt her chest constrict; but she didn't cry. She couldn't cry.

"No. I promise you, it wasn't." Spencer breathed out. "Ivory, he's a psychopathic serial killer; he doesn't feel like we do. He was planning on killing you no matter what."

"No...Ryan's not like that." Ivory said quietly, blinking away tears.

"He is. Sometimes, it's hard to tell. That-that was the point, he knew you trusted him too much—"

"I have to. I have to trust them, Spencer." She said, her voice cracking.

"I know you do. It's okay." Spencer said reassuringly, placing a hand on her back and leading her outside, where a cluster of ambulances parked. Ivory couldn't think straight, the dying face of Ryan Hicks was too deeply engraved in her mind. She couldn't help but wonder if she could've prevented this.

She felt absolutely nothing, not even being able to focus on Spencer's touch. Ivory was relieved, and grateful, but she couldn't express it.

Spencer watched the woman blankly stare at the ground as the medics fixed up her wounds. He was relieved, more than ever, that she was alright.

Part of him was slightly angry; Ivory was too kind and trusting to the killer, even attempting to save him when he had hurt her. He was curious and confused at her unwavering compassion, how she was so quick to coerce him into letting her go as well. The woman was good with her words, and Spencer saw that.

He respected her. He respected how good-hearted she was. The man let out a small sigh, making his way to her and leaning against the edge of the ambulance. Ivory's eyes flickered up to him, making Spencer smile slightly.

"Are you okay?" He asked her softly.

Ivory nodded at him timidly. "Thank you."

"You did good." Spencer said, chuckling a little as he thought about how believable her words to Ryan were. "Usually, other people don't know what to do in your position."

"I meant all of it." She said quietly, dropping her head. "I know it sounds messed up, but if you heard what Ryan has gone through—you'd maybe feel the same."

Spencer felt his heart warm at her words, a respectful smile on his face. "I understand. I'm sorry. That we had to shoot him."