30 Cold Pillow and Lonely Bed 1/2

枕冷衾寒
Zhěn lěng qīn hán
Cold pillow and lonely bed.
Cold and solitary existence.

*~*~*~*~*~*

The storm finally came that evening.

Dark grey clouds had hung overhead all day as Sanli and the others travelled up the valley to the temple, after mysteriously appearing from a clear sky that morning. As the clouds broke, the rain swept across the valley like a wave, driving the wind before it and causing the leaves to buck and sway like the tossing of a stormy, tree green sea.

Standing at the window of the small, barren room he had been given at the temple, Sanli watched the storm curve across the valley below, heading in their direction.

"Come away from the window," said Ming Lang behind him. "It's going to rain."

Sanli did as she told him, stepping back to where his friend sat, composing a letter at the old wooden writing table. It was the only piece of furniture in the room beside the neatly made bed in the corner.

"I'm writing to my parents, letting them know I've arrived safely," she said, at his inquiring glance. "Not that they're waiting to hear from me. I was dead to them as soon as I chose to become a nun."

Sanli placed a hand on his friend's shoulder and squeezed before sitting beside her at the table. Ming Lang's family was wealthy. One of the wealthiest in Lin'jing, in fact. Naturally, as the only daughter, it was expected for her to make a fortuitous match to support the family fortunes.

Ming had had other ideas however.

Sanli smiled, recalling when they had first met at the university, in the Green City.

It had been the first day of classes. He had been excited, yet nervous. Going to the family school in the valley had been hell, as all of the other students had bullied him relentlessly. On Erli's orders.

Now, here in the city, he was hoping he would be able to learn in peace at last.

He sat at the back of the lecture hall of his first class. Scribery. Sanli was already proficient at magic, having the advantage of his own seal, as all male members of the family were entitled to. But it was still necessary for him to take the class.

As the class commenced it soon became apparent to Sanli that he would not have to work very hard to excel . Not only was it something he already knew, but he had the additional advantage of his memory to help him remember seals and spells.

"Dammit! Why are there so many strokes in this character!"

Sanli turned to see who had spoken. The boy sitting next to him was glaring down at the misshapen character drawn in the sand of the practice tray before him.

The young man was dressed in an oversized robe and had cut his hair short. The cut was messy, as though it had been done with a blunt knife. Or someone who was inexperienced at cutting their own hair.

Sanli studied the fine features of the boy. Finally, he asked quietly. "Are you a girl?"

The girl (for it was a girl) dropped her practice stick into the sand and turned wide, frightened eyes toward Sanli. "Bloody hell. How did you know? Is it that obvious?"

Sanli laughed. "Probably not to others."

The girl buried her face in her hands. "It's only the first day and I've been found out. My parents are going to kill me."

Sanli chuckled. "Your secret is safe with me. I've no interest in telling your parents or anyone else."

The girl peaked at him between her fingers. "Really?"