36 Lead A Dog Into the Village 4/4

引狗入寨
Yǐn gǒu rù zhài
To lead a dog into the village.
To introduce a potential source of trouble.

Despite her words, Ao slept like a log, and it was just as difficult as always to rouse her in the morning.

Zakhar bent to shake her shoulder, studying Ao's face in the morning light. The cut beneath her eye was already healed, and now was little more than a scratch. The bruises about her neck were already gone.

See, she is fine. She heals quickly. You worry for nothing. But even as Zakhar thought this, he angered that Ao had been hurt in the first place. She should not have to suffer. I should have gotten to the dog faster.

"It's too early," the woman said, yawning as Zakhar finally shook her awake.

Fresh morning sunlight streamed through the open door to the barn. In the doorway, Sanli and Kageyama were arguing.

Ao stood, beside Zakhar, and together they watched the fight unfold.

"We must return to the fortress immediately to report Captain Duan's misconduct," insisted Kageyama.

"We can do that. After we kill that monster," said Sanli firmly.

"Sanli, are you mad? Did you see that thing last night? This is beyond us," said Kageyama with a shake of his head.

"Magic seemed to affect it just fine," Sanli protested. "If we can just lure it somewhere I can—"

"No!" shouted Kageyama. "It is my duty to protect you, not help you in your reckless schemes. Why are you always like this?"

"Because I know what it feels like to be driven from your home! And no one is doing anything to help these people! No one cares!"

"There are no people! Everyone is gone!"

Ao pulled her long hair back with a leather tie. She brushed off her loose linen clothes, covered in dirt from the night previous. "What I wouldn't do for a bath," Zakhar heard her mutter as she began packing up her bedroll.

"You always taught me to do the right thing, even when no one is watching. Even if no one cares," said Sanli, voice firm.

"Arrrgh!" Kageyama buried his face in his hands. "Why are you so stubborn?!"

"You also taught me to stand my ground," said Sanli, smiling. He laid a hand on Kageyama's elbow. "Sho Sensei? Please?"

"Fine!" said Kageyama. "We compromise. We leave today, and take the northern route back to the fortress. If, gods forbid, we encounter that monster again, we will do our best to kill it. If it doesn't kill us first."

Sanli beamed like a child receiving permission to play outside. "Thank you Sho Sensei." He threw his arms around the kitsune.

Kageyama's body went rigid, arms held stiffly at his sides. "Get off, you're too old for that," the kitsune grumbled, pushing Sanli away and going to saddle Makabe.

Zakhar sighed. How he longed to be away from this place. And the north in general.

Beside him Ao had packed her things, tied them in place to In'yii's saddle, and stood with the horse beside her. She was watching Sanli.

"The little prince is either very brave, or very foolish," she said softly.

"Both, probably," muttered Zakhar, and turned to ready Dunya.

*~*~*~*~*~*

That morning in the bright sun, Sanli's idea did not seem so impossible.