TWENTY TWO

"Please I beg of you, my son needs medication! We pay you back when we have the money" pleads the woman. Wendy being the invisible she is, went closer to see what's the fuss about. The rent collecter was a middle-aged woman and she seems mad with both of the couples.

"Your rent has been due 3 months and yet you haven't found enough money to pay the rent! I've been so nice to you both and I pity you guys because of what they treat you but still, I can't lend a help anymore. " the middle-aged woman said.

"Please let us stay for the night, just one night and we'll be gone the next morning, please let us stay" pleads the man again.

"I believe I can't do that. The new owner will be arriving tonight and you need to pack your stuff and get out of here. I can't risk losing money like you both here" she scowled. The woman who was carrying the baby started to cry and she shushes it down.

"Ahh, so annoying. Should have sold the child to support yourself rather than starving. Now look at you, once the most respected person but now the most hated person in this town. I wonder why they still let you roam around here. What bad luck." The middle-aged woman storms out of the veranda and look at them, shake her head and sigh.

Both of the couples change their glances from sad to tears in their eyes.  "I'm sorry my son, your dad is such a failure, I don't mean this kind of treatment will befall onto us. I-i'm sorry." The man sob. The woman let her other free hand hug him while the other hand still carrying the baby. "Let's get out of here and find a place to sleep." The woman said.

The man nodded and wipe away his tears and carry their bag and when away from their rent house. They walked miles and miles of road and not a single car would stop to pick them.

Wendy followed them side by side since they can't see them and she obviously didn't know who's past is this but one thing she knows, this is the first time she can access someone's past. She felt bad for the family and what misfortune has fallen until they became like this?

They reached a small hut situated on a lonely road. It looks very welcoming and they were both exhausted from the walking and decided to try their luck to stay there. Even if somehow the owner of the house would recognize them at least their baby would stay warm inside the house and they rather stay outside the house and sleep. 

"You stay here let me go and ask" The man insisted. "No let me go I'll handle this you-" the woman words were cut down by his husband. "You've been through a lot at least let me do this" The man insisted. The wife looks at him with so much sadness in her eyes. They'be been spits, throw by rocks, rotten egg, and kick by but still, they didn't let their sorrow bring down. 

The husband enters the hut easily since there's no door to it just a tore towel hanging above the doorway to cover it. Wendy followed after him. He could feel a sense of homeness feeling when he enters the hut. The warm orange light lits up the hut. "Hello?" he said, in hopeful, there's a person in the house. He notices that the house was well kept clean and he was amazed by how the way things inside the house were well put. Not a lot of things he saw inside the house; just a basic need things to survive.

His walk was cautious as if he waits for someone to attack him or throw him rocks that previously earn him bruises to his head and arms. Out of nowhere, a man appears before him making him startled and fall to his back. He was tall and lean. Those long grey beard of his made the man think he must have live in this hut for a very long time and didn't even groom himself.  "Stand up child, you don't have to be afraid," the old man said. His clothes were torn and had stitches on them. The husband quickly stands up but he was staggered to his feet, swaying a little.