2 | Sketches

FP had just started making breakfast when Alice came downstairs with her robe tightly wrapped around her. The kids were still sound asleep and would be there soon enough to try his his not so famous scrambled eggs for the very first time. The situation they were all living in was highly unusual and because he had overheard what she'd said he was afraid he'd be out on the street in no time again.

Didn't he deserve a second chance just because he had made mistakes in the past? Or was she right and was it an idiotic idea to take someone in your house who had just been released from prison?

Alice only greeted him with a soft smile as he placed a cup of coffee in front of her. The way she almost avoided the eye contact he tried to make with her was why he decided to just ask her straight away so he'd know how she really looked at the current living situation.

''If you are uncomfortable with me staying here then please tell me. I don't want to impose.'' He said calmly, hoping to receive an honest answer from her or at least let her know he was willing to have an open conversation about this.

''Gave you a week to proof yourself, didn't I?'' She raised her eye-brow, asking him if he had forgotten about the promise she had made.

''Are you willing to give me a real chance then? Feels like you already made up your mind.'' He sighed and took a sip of his own cup of coffee to properly wake himself up.

Alice placed her own mug back on the counter and crossed her arms as she looked in his eyes. She knew she had to be honest with him or otherwise this whole plan would collapse after today.

''Look, Forsythe. Believe it or not but the few months Jughead has been staying here he really grew on me. He loves you, so that is why I am doing this, okay?''

Maybe once she had told him her motive to even give him the chance in the first place he'd understand that she wasn't messing around with him. Not that she had a lot of confidence that this would succeed, but she'd never had given him this opportunity if she had made up her mind already.

''Thank you, Alice. You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking care of my boy for me. Never expected the mayor to do something so selflessly.'' He smiled softly to her and for the first time she saw something vulnerable in his eyes, instead of something fiery and bold that she had seen the day before.

''Well, Betty is crazy about him and he has been nothing but an angel. So, I expect the same from you.'' She smiled back and shoved her mug his way for a refill.

''Loud and clear, boss.'' He saluted her with a grin on his face.

Now he knew that the woman in front of him was seriously considering to give him a job wherein he'd run the household, made him really want to proof to her that he was more than a screw-up Dad.

Betty and Jughead came downstairs all ready for the day and smiled happily when they saw what FP had been making for breakfast. It was Jughead's favorite that Alice had made for him before, but nobody did that as good as his Dad. Not that he the King of the kitchen, but his eggs were always perfect.

''Mom, could you check my essay today?'' Betty asked with her mouth full as she checked her bag for the sheet.

Alice checked the clock and shook her head.

''I can't hun, I am sorry.'' She said sadly.

She wished she could help out her daughter more but this wasn't something she'd cancel her early meetings for.

''I'll help you out.'' FP offered her, as he handed her a glass of fresh orange juice.

''Really? Would you?'' Betty's eyes lit up as the man offered her his help. Jughead would help her out too, but she appreciated a grown up giving a look at it too.