49 | Light In The Darkness

Six pairs of wide eyes looked at Alice, who slowly seemed to start to panic. Her babies were coming right now and even though she had started to prepare for this the second she got pregnant, it suddenly felt like she wasn't ready at all. This wasn't the same as the time when she gave birth to Betty, this time she was getting two babies.

"You're having your babies? Now?" Fred was the first one to break the silence, snapping everyone out of the shock they had felt.

"We need to get to the hospital." FP stood up to get Alice's jacket while Jughead grabbed his phone to call an ambulance. Alice grabbed her belly and leant forward as she let out a grunt. She never experienced contractions this intense. FP turned around to hold her, feeling helpless seeing her in so much pain.

"We have no phone service." Jughead sighed, followed by Betty who saw she didn't have any service either.

"No— we can't. They are coming." Alice gasped out, barely registing what was going on around her.

"We'll drive you there. Grab your bags." Fred grabbed his keys and already wanted to make his way to the car, but Alice didn't make any attempts to get off her chair.

"Squeeze my hand, babe." FP sat down next to her again while everyone stood around her in a circle, making it almost impossible for her to breath. It wasn't everyday that you witnessed a woman getting in labor, especially not with twins.

"It hurts so much." She cried loudly, squeezing FP's hand as hard as she could. This pain was unbearable, but she had to power through. At this point she wasn't even sure they would get to the hospital, which was only freaking her out more and more.

"Everyone, move it." Betty ordered them, and nobody wasted a second to get out of her way. If there was someone in the room who knew Alice better than anyone it was Betty. They didn't need much words to know what the other needed, which was exactly what was happening.

"Mom, do you think we should go to the hospital?" She bended down in front of her mother, trying to read in her eyes what was going on.

"Betty, please—" Alice pleaded desperately, knowing that her daughter would know exactly what she wanted in that moment. All Betty did was give her a nod. When she stood up, she turned to everyone in the living room, ready to give out orders.

"Jug, grab some towels. Grandpa, bring the spare mattress downstairs. We have two babies to deliver." She clapped her hands together, and she locked eyes with FP for a second. It looked like he was about to pass out, but there wasn't no time to freak out. Those babies were coming, whether they were ready or not.

"I went to nursing school for two years, let me help you." Hermione offered, figuring she knew just enough about childbirth to help her best friend through this. After all, it was all they had.

FP had wrapped his arm around Alice while softly shushing her, trying to get her to calm down as much as he could while two babies were trying to pop out of her.

When Gladys was giving birth, she didn't want him in the delivery room. Too much stress, she had said. He had respected her choice, but he had to admit that it always felt like he missed something special. For now it meant it was going to be the first time he would ever see one of his kids coming into this world.

"FP, I am scared— what if—" Alice sobbed silently, trying to find the words for the fears that were taking over her.

A birth at home was definitely more dangerous than one at the hospital, but it looked the babies had some other plans in store, throwing away every single thing they had planned for the last eight months. Above that all, the only light in the room was given by the candles since the light was out and the sun had gone down.