24 | Distraction

Hermione had been talking for a while now, but Alice hadn't heard a word. All she did was looking at her phone, trying to fight a grin as she did so. She thought she was perfectly well hiding the fact that she was secretly texting with the man she was dating, but Hermione knew her like no other and saw right through that. 

''As your advisor I would appreciate it if you actually listen to me as I am doing my job.'' She crossed her arms and leant back in her chair, giving her a look of disapproval. It was clear her best friend was somewhere else with her head. 

''Sorry what?'' Alice said absentmindedly as she locked her phone again, totally obvious for the fact that she practically  had been ignoring her from the second their meeting had started. 

''You have been staring at your phone the last ten minutes. Plus, you're giggling like a teenager.'' Hermione pointed to her phone and expected for Alice to spill the tea, but instead she got herself together and look into her friends eyes to make sure she knew she was listening now. 

''Fine. You have my attention.'' Not a second after that statement her phone beeped again, a smile spreading over her face as she read FP's text message. 

Damn, Alice. You have no idea what you are doing to me. Might have to show you...

The idea of him sending a picture back to her was setting her skin on fire already, even when she hadn't seen it yet. Their plan was to take things slow to make sure things would work out, but that didn't stop her from sending a risky picture of herself, revealing her dark lace bra underneath her blouse. 

''That's it. Who are you texting with?'' Hermione snatched the phone out of her hands and wanted to look at it but Alice's finger stopped her. 

''Can you keep a secret?'' Alice whispered, before her friend could take a peak at her phone. Not only because she wanted to tell her the news herself, but also because she didn't want to risk Hermione seeing a possible picture that FP had sent her back. 

''I have been your best friend since high school, Alice. Is this even a serious question?'' There tugged a smile on Hermione's face as she handed Alice her phone back. If she wasn't telling her right away, there must be something different about it. 

''I am seeing someone.'' Alice said happily as she grabbed a pan to doodle, instead of looking in her friends eyes. 

She truly felt like a seventeen year old girl again who was sneaking around with someone she wasn't supposed to, but it made her feel so great, so new but also so like herself again. After so many years she thought she could live without that feeling, but who could really?

''Wait, someone new already? Or did you get back with Adam?'' Hermione asked curiously.

''No, you see... that's the thing..." Alice started carefully, not really knowing how to drop this. 

But Hermione didn't need another word. The expression on her face told her the whole story. She was seeing someone she was secretive about, that made her giggle like a teenage girl, and that she wasn't willing to brag about, yet. Was she really dating the guy she had pretend not to like?

''Is it who I think it is?'' She raised her eye-brow, even if it was most of all a question that she sort of had answered already. It was just something she needed to hear out of Alice's mouth. 

''If you think it's a certain guy who lives under my roof and who looks sinfully sexy in a flannel then yes.'' She clenched her cheeks in a try to stop herself from smiling, but of course she was losing that immediately. 

''You're dating FP?!'' Hermione gasped out, almost shouting it through the whole building. 

''Can you keep your voice down? Lena doesn't know it yet. He has barely broken up with her. We're trying to keep it for ourselves.'' Alice explained quickly as she peeked outside her open office door to see if anyone else may have heard them.