54 | Stories

For the third time that night FP sang a sweet lullaby for his kids. It was a bit crowded, but he had the two of them in his arms, holding them tight to his chest. Charlotte tried to reach for the fabric of his shirt as she looked at her father with her big eyes, while Charles was spitting up a little when he giggled. To him, there was nothing more beautiful than the sight of them looking into the world. The staring contest he had started with his daughter was interrupted when the door of the nursery opened with a loud squeak.

"Look at that, it's Jughead and Betty. They came for a goodnight kiss." He whispered softly to his babies while the two teenagers came walking into the nursery. They both bend down to be on the same height as the kids and smiled brightly at the infants.

"It's like I can see them grow in front of my eyes." Betty stroke her index finger over Charles's face who almost seemed to drift off to sleep.

"I know, it's crazy." FP chuckled sweetly, tearing up by the idea of them growing faster than he liked. But for now he could still cradle them in his arms for a little longer.

"You two did a great job." She complimented them, a soft smile tugging on the corners of her lips. It had been —and it still was— a difficult situation to adjust to, but seeing those sweet little faces made all her worries disappear.

"They are beautiful, right?" FP couldn't keep his eyes off them, he would stare at his kids for the rest of his life if he had the time.

"They got that from Alice." Jughead teased him playfully, expecting a sassy remark back but all he did was nod in agreement.

"They really do." The man smiled, not even doubting the fact that those sweet faces resembeled Alice like no other. Before he could help himself he let out a loud yawn that didn't go unnoticed by Betty and Jughead.

"Dad, you're tired. Why don't you go to sleep, Betty and I  got this. They are almost asleep anyway." Jughead politely offered to help out. Even though FP's instincts told him he wanted to bring them to sleep himself, his eye lids were protesting.

"Thanks, Boy. I'll check up on them in a bit." He handed each of them one of the kids and looked around one more time with a content smile on his face as he looked at the two holding them with so much love and tenderness. They were in good hands.

FP made his way back to his bedroom and looked at Alice who had just changed into her nightwear. He walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist as he inhaled the scent of her shampoo for just a second. There was something so calming about it, it was hard for him to describe.

"Twins are being rocked to sleep. Betty and Jughead are with them." He whispered softly and closed his eyes for a second. Alice hummed contently and part of her wanted to see the adorable sight of all her kids together.

But before she could even process the thought of how cute that must have looked, FP started to press featherlight kisses into her neck, making them more soft and intense at the same time with each kiss. Her whole body tensed, even though she wanted to be able to let him in this way. Of course, FP would notice immediately that something was off.

"Is everything alright? We haven really been intimate for a while, did I do something wrong?" His voice was filled with concern as he turned her around in his arms. Though, Alice was a master in pretending that everything was fine.

"What about last night when you came out of the shower?" She smiled devilishly as she played with the hairs in the base of his neck, succesfully distracting him for a second.

"That was pretty hot. Wish you would let me return the favor." He stroke her cheek while looking at her so intensely that it felt like he was staring right into her soul. This time it seemed like she couldn't keep up her act, or even make him forget that she had been distant lately. So, instead she decided to rip the band-aid right off now.