38 | Trying

Betty had practically sprinted home in the hope that she'd be there before Jughead. She hadn't seen him all day and she was afraid FP would talk to him before she got the chance. When she ran into the living room she saw him pacing back and forth.

"Jughead, you're home!" She breathed out, tired from the running. He turned to her instantly, reading to have a proper talk.

"Betty, I need to talk to you." He said serious. She was too out of breath to even interrupt him now, so she let him go first.

" I have thought about this all day and since we are pregnant now, and even when we are young—" Jughead starte to ramble, having thought through this completely. His father was right, they were in this together.

"Jug, please—" Betty started to interrupt him, knowing perfectly well what this was about, but it was no use. He needed to tell her what he had been thinking about.

"Let me finish okay? You need to understand that we're in this together. You have me. And you'll always have me. We're going to make this baby the happiest kid in the whole world." He said sweetly as he placed his hand on her stomach. 

Betty's eyes teared up as he said those words, knowing that even though she wasn't carrying, he'd be there to support her if she did end up pregnant.First she had assumed that he would freak out, but these kind of words took her by surprise.

"You would be okay with us having a baby?" She asked softly, placing her hand above his.

"We didn't plan to, but we'll make it work. That is a promise." He kissed her forehead after he spoke, and felt a lot more relieved now he had sad those words out loud. Everything would be fine, that he knew for sure.

"You are the most amazing person I've ever known. I love you so much." She wrapped her arms around him and smiled brightly. But then she remembered that he didn't know the truth yet.

"There is just one problem. I am not the one who is pregnant." She said when she pulled back, seeing his face crinkle in confusion.

"Wait, you are not?" He asked her in disbelief. His father had made such a big deal of this, how could it be not true?

"Is that a dealbreaker?" She asked with a small grin, knowing that even though he was on board with them having a baby that it should be a relief too that they didn't have to deal with that now.

"I'll find a few to get over it." He chuckled, pulling her closer. They laughed together until FP barged in with multiple bags in his hands.

"Woah, what's all this?" Betty asked confused as she saw all the baby stuff. There were tons of stuffed animals, baby clothes, books, diapers and stuff she didn't even know to name.

"This is me taking your pregnancy serious because somebody has too." FP explained. Truth was, he was genuinely upset about how everyone seemed to treat it like it was nothing. This was a serious matter, and he would treat it as such.

He handed Jughead one of the books on top, feeling way to confused by how his Dad was suddenly overwhelming them with all this stuff. Betty wasn't pregnant, but it sure seemed like FP was convinced she was.

"What to expect when you are unexpectedly expecting?" Jughead read the title out loud, almost having trouble not laughing.

"Recommended by Oprah. You're going to read every word, Boy." FP said sternly, pointing his finger at this son. He had to take responsibility and be a good father, this was nothing to laugh about.

But Betty couldn't take it anymore. She'd gladly cover for her mother but things were getting out of hand. She had to be honest for her own sake.

"FP, calm down for a second, okay? I know what I said earlier, but the truth is, I was covering. That pregnancy test wasn't mine." She blurted out, revealing the truth behind their behavior.