52 | Three Is Better Than Two

FP and Alice had just finished having lunch together when their doorbell rang. Neither of them had expected any visitors . She had gone upstairs to feed the twins and he was supposed to get some work done. Nontheless, FP walked over to the front door and looked straight into the face of their friend.

"Hermione! Come on in. What brings you here?" A smile appeared on his face and he stepped aside to let her into the house. Hermione returned his smile and came in.

"Can't I visit my two favorite people in the world?" She grinned as she turned around to face FP again.

"Don't let Fred hear that." He teased her back as he closed the door. Hermione had looked around the room and noticed that her best friend wasn't downstairs.

"Where is Alice?" Even though she wasn't showing it yet, she badly needed her friend right now and she was sure she'd burst out in tears if she'd find out that she wasn't home.

"She's upstairs with the twins. I'll go get them." FP gave her a soft smile and jumped onto the stairs to get his girlfriend. At the same time, Hermione sat down on the couch trying to somehow keep her emotions at bay.

But then Alice and FP came downstairs, each of them with one of the babies on her hip. The sight of them was something so pure and beautiful that suddenly every worry in the world seemed to fade away.

"Look at that, aunt Mione is here for a visit." Alice whispered in her high baby voice as she walked over to her best friend and sat down next to her. Hermione smiled brightly as she saw the little girl in front of her.

"Can I?" She asked shyly, her hands gesturing for the baby.

"Of course you can." Alice handed her over Charlotte and carefully placed her into the arm of her best friend. At the other side, FP had sat down next to her, bringing Charles a little closer.

"Did you know aunt Mione helped you guys into this world?" Alice whispered sweetly, softly stroking the cheeks on her daughter's face. The memory of their birth was still so surreal and at the same time something so special that she'd cherish that forever.

But then she looked at those sweet faces with those big blue eyes that were staring right into her soul. In about nine months she would have one of her own. A face that would resemble her and Fred, a face of a sweet little baby looking right back at her. She slowly started to cry and it wasn't until she sniffled that FP and Alice noticed that something was off.

"Hey, what is wrong?" Alice grew concerend. She pushed the hair out of Hermione's face to look at her. She shared a worried look with FP, who didn't have any idea what was going on with her either.

"I'm pregnant." She cried silently, her eyes still fixated on the little girl in her arms. She wasn't even sure if her tears were out of happiness or sadness, maybe a mix of both? How was she supposed to feel about having a kid when she had Fred already had two teenagers in the house?

"You are what?" Alice asked her quietly, almost thinking she had heard it wrong.

"I took a test this morning and it was positive." Hermione cleared up, now wiping away the tears that were stuck on her cheeks.

"I don't know what to do." She sighed deeply as she leant back into the couch. Her breath got stuck in her throat as she tried to get herself together a bit. It wasn't like her to suddenly cry out of the blue, but right now was one of the few moments that she totally felt lost. Normally, she'd be the one to rationalize the situation, but that was a lot harder when it was your own life you were trying to keep in order.

"But honey, that is wonderful, isn't it? What did Fred say?" Alice grabbed her hand to show her comfort. She wasn't sure what to say, since in her ears it sounded like something to be happy about, not something that would make her this upset.