CHAPTER 3

RAE

     AFTER EATING LUNCH, our newly found friends stayed a little longer to chat with us.

The two of them were warm and friendly that I found myself enjoying their company. Though it's pretty obvious that I'm not the only one who is fond of them.

Turns out that they only moved here in Calilaya with their family two years ago, and that made them our grandparents' neighbors since. They met my grandparents once when Lolo was having a hard time carrying some things. Gino decided to help him and one thing lead to another, they became close. Since both of them grew up without knowing their grandparents on both sides, they decided to pour their love to my lolo and lola. That explains why they feel so comfortable and at home around us. I can see that they're good people and that's what my grandparents love about them.

I also found out that George's real name is 'Georgette'. I suggested to call her by her real name instead of George. But she declined the idea, she said that 'Georgette' sounds strange to her and calling her 'George' is fine even though it's a common name for boys. I suggested to call her Georgette because her nickname reminds me of our dead dog. Though I chose not to say that to her. We are both of the same age while Gino is one year older than us. Based on what I heard, Gino is some kind of athlete while George's one of the journalists of their school paper. They both attend the school that I was supposed to go to.

I excused myself, later on, to wash and change into some more decent clothing. It took me half an hour to clean myself and I wasn't surprised when the two of them were still in the house. This time, they resumed their bonding in the living room.

Gino was playing with Terrence while George was having a nice chat with my mom and grandparents. I joined them as soon as I descended from the staircase.

"George, may alam ka bang pwede kong pasukan? Kahit part time lang." Tanong ko sa kanya ng tuluyan akong makalapit.

Kumunot and kanyang noo sa aking sinabi. "Part time? Bakit mo kailangang mag part time?"

Pinaliwanag ko sa kanya na sa susunod na semester pa ako makakapasok dahil sa pagkakaalam ko ay huli na ako sa klase. Wala naman akong ibang gagawin dito sa mansion nina Lolo kaya naisipan kong humanap ng pwedeng pasukang trabaho. It was actually my plan today, to take a trip around town so I can find someplace where I can work.

That's why I was surprised when George responded that their school is only half of its first semester and I can still catch up.

"Abot ka pa sa second quarter. "She started. "Katatapos lang naming magfinals para sa first quarter last week. This coming week naman ay intramurals so next next week pa ang simula."

Sinabi rin niya na pwede na akong magpasa ng mga requirements this Monday since hindi pa daw naman ganun ka-busy ang office. She even volunteered coming with me. Tatanggi sana ako sa ideya niyang samahan ako, pero ayos na rin iyon since hindi ko naman alam ang pasikot sikot ng school nila. I thanked her for that.

Papalubog na ang araw ng nagpaalam si George sa amin para umuwi. Nauna nang umalis si Gino dahil hahabol pa daw siya sa training nila. Hindi daw siya pwedeng hindi umattend ngayon dahil papalapit na ang intrams.

Sinamahan ko si George sa paglalakad pauwi sa kanilang tahanan. Ilang lakad lang naman iyon dahil literal namin silang kapitbahay. Tulad nina Lolo ay malaki rin ang bahay nina George, ngunit mas makabago ang disenyo nito kumpara sa mansion. Walang bukas na ilaw ang makikita sa loob ng kanilang bahay. Senyales na walang tao sa loob.

"Solo ka ba sa bahay nyo ngayon? Kung gusto mo sa amin ka na muna." I offered to her immediately.

"Huwag na. Darating na din yung mga magulang ko. Siguro maya-maya lang." She said reassuringly.