CHAPTER 4

RAE

September 9, Monday - September 11, Wednesday 

        HAVING HIM THIS CLOSE made me notice how good looking he is. I mean, there's no need to lie for that. He has a distinctive face with dark brown eyes paired with thick eyebrows, a narrow nose, and a too well-defined jawline for his age. He was pretty tall and slim. Probably because he's an athlete.

I realized that I was staring at him for quite a long time now and I silently wished that he didn't notice it.

I was cut out from my reverie when he cleared his throat. "Si Mam Rubio ba?" he asked, completely oblivious from the fact that I was checking him out.

"Uhh...oo. Si...Si Mam Rubio. Alam mo ba kung asan?" I managed to answer and I mentally cursed myself for stuttering. Bakit ngayon pa ako nauutal eh nabara ko na nga siya nung dumating kami.

He pointed his finger behind my back "Kapapasok lang."

I looked at the office and saw the person I was looking for. She was already sitting on her desk.

I glanced at him one more to say thanks. He nodded his head in response before turning his back at me. Resuming to the work he was doing before.

Gwapo na sana kaso parang arogante. Pero baka naman ganun lang pakikitungo niya sa akin kasi ang attitude ko sa kanya last Friday?

I walked towards the office and before entering the room, I carefully knocked on the door three times. Mam Rubio lifted her head to take a look at me. She took off her eyeglasses before mouthing the words, "Come in". I greeted her politely right after I entered her office. She urged me to sit at the chair before asking what brings me to her office.

I explained her my situation. I told her that my family and I just recently moved to town and I was wondering if I could still make it in the first semester.

"You're lucky that we were just about to start the second quarter. Abot ka pa naman hija. Dala mo ba birth certificates mo and Form 137? Puwede ka nang mag-enroll ngayon kung gusto mo." She suggested.

I nodded at her and handed her the papers. It's a good thing that I came prepared. She then handed me out the enrollment form. She instructed me to fill it up while she reads my papers.

"Layag?" I looked at her by the mention of my surname. She raised her eyebrow at me. "Apo ka ba nina Lisa at Roberto Collantes??"

"Opo mam."

Sikat sina lolo't lola sa Calilaya kaya't hindi na ako magtataka kung kilala sila ni Mam Rubio. Lolo Roberto was a former mayor of the town and a known businessman while Lola Lisa was a retired doctor. From what I've known, they served the town pretty well back in their days. Mabait at matulungin sina Lolo, kaya't marami ang nakakakilala sa kanila noon hanggang ngayon.

"Naku, bakit di mo agad sinabi hija?" Mam Rubio pointed out.

"Po?" My forehead creased because of what she just has said.

"Mr. Roberto Collantes went here a few days ago. Last Thursday, I think." Mam Rubio started. "He told me about his daughter coming back together with her family. He talked to me about his granddaughter transferring to this school, and he asked me if you can still get in. I said yes since we're only half of the semester and he personally took care of your enrollment. Last week ka pa enrolled hija." She finally said to me.

I was actually surprised and confused. Bakit hindi nabanggit sa akin ni Lolo?

Mam Rubio probably noticed my reaction. "Hindi ba sayo nasabi ni Mr. Collantes ?"