Freshman Year

I passed the entrance exam of this prestigious school known throughout my country and now it's my first day. It's time for me to make friends but I know that it would be hard seeing as it is my first time going to a public school.

My name is Alice, I am eleven years old, and I am already in high school. Now you may be wondering who I am, I am just a random person in this crappy game of life.

As my first classes started, I sat down right next to Maryah and she started to talk to me. At first, I was afraid, but she tried her best to reassure me so that I didn't need to be scared of her. Considering this was the time that I was still naive and innocent, I trusted her with my secrets. After a few weeks, she started not talking to me, and until I know it, the class hated me.

I had a hard time making friends and so my first year was hell. This was until I met a boy named Zairen. He and I became friends because we battled in chess and ended up in a stalemate. A few weeks of hanging out talking about our Chinese ancestry and our hobbies, he suddenly stated with eyes locked with mine, "Don't talk to me anymore". My heart pained to see this. I sadly nodded at the thought of losing another friend. It was quite strange to me since I usually fight back. Every single time I thought of talking to him once again, his eyes...

"I can't get his eyes off my head...

Those sad, grainy, dull eyes locking me down...

They hurt..."

After this "friendship breakup", I started to play on the football team. We were able to reach a mass amount of victories during exhibition games, and soon enough started to forget those eyes of his.

One day, being the loner I am, I tried to make friends with people who were playing volleyball. I met Tricia and her friend Myrah. I was going to dance alone on stage today and instead of practicing, I started to play volleyball. It was fun but sadly, I suck at it.

In summer, I was training together with my team to play for "Palarong Pambansa", a game dedicated to representing our school in the local bracket. The thing is, I haven't eaten yesterday and decided to train the whole day today. I only drank juice and it took a toll on me today. My mind suddenly went blank as I was brought to the hospital.

As I passed out, I saw his innocent face paired with those scary eyes once again. I started to wonder once more, who owns those eyes... I can't destroy the feeling that I have seen them somewhere else. One thing I knew was the moment I woke up, I was crying.