Chapter 10 - Night time

Warning: Mentions of stabbing, mugging, and guns. Please be careful!

Virgil and his mother were walking out of the bank when suddenly he was tugged into an alleyway.

Virgil gasped as the man grabbed his mother's arm, the boy whining. The man ruffled through the womans pockets, looking for money.

"Virgil, run! Go, go now!" She said quickly. Virgil tried. He wanted to. But his feet wouldn't let him move. The man pulled a knife and pinned Virgil's mother to the wall, stabbing into her chest full force, intent to kill. Fighting back made people hard to rob. The woman slid down against the wall, blood leaking from her wound as she tried to gargle out words. 

"R-r-run... my v-v-violet..." She stuttered out, before the color drained from her features and her body slumped uselessly. Virgil shrieked and in that instant, everything went black.

~~~~~~~~

Virgil shot up in the bed (more like the couch), shaking and breathing quickly. His eyes welled up with tears as he threw the covers off, heading out of the house. It had been enough time that the other three trusted him to not go back to his crime. Virgil stopped to tie his shoe, watching people pass by despite the time. Three am. Though, he supposed, clubs would be closing about now. He stood back up, wiping tears off his face.

Tomorrow will be better than today
The light will break through at next dawn

The familiar lullaby of his mother rang in his memory as he walked down the street. These were the better times. The ones where the voice he heard was his mom singing rather than her screaming for help from the other side.

Go to sleep, I promise you
Nothing changes just overnight

Virgil walked to the park in the middle of town, sitting on a bench their. He shivered at the cold night air, not having grabbed a blanket. The only thing he heard was a crunch on a leaf, the boy looking up.

"Virgil... not running away I hope...?" The Prince said. Virgil teared up, a sob wrenching it's way out of him as he shot up and hugged onto his disguised boyfriend. Roman hugged back immediately.

"Hey hey, what's going on? It's okay i'm here Virgil, everything's alright." Roman said softly. Virgil held onto Roman, taking a few minutes to calm down enough to talk.

"N-nightmare... my mom..." Virgil stammered quietly. Roman's expression immediately softened.

"It's all okay. You know she loves you. It's gonna be fine. You have me and Logan and Patton." Roman said gently, placing a kiss on Virgil's forehead. Virgil nodded a little.

"Yeah... okay." Virgil mumbled. He took a deep breath.

"Ro?"

"Yes, my flower?"

"Why did you become a superhero?" Virgil asked, looking up at the other. The question caught Roman a little off  guard. That's not the kind of question you expect from your boyfriend you just found crying on a park bench.

"I wanted to help people. Yeah, it was fun to have a secret and fun to do things by myself, but I wanted to help other people. People in trouble, who really needed it." Roman explained, Virgil nodding.

"Sorry." Virgil apologized quietly. He interrupted Roman's question before it started. "For running out of the house. I knew you three weren't there, I should've just called." He mumbled. Roman shook his head.

"Just glad I found you." Roman said softly. "Let me call Patton, he can take you home." Roman said, tapping his watch a few times. It only took about three minutes for Patton to get there, landing next to Roman carefully. 

"Hey, i'm sorry we weren't at home to help you." Patton apologized, Virgil shaking his head.

"At least I have you, regardless of where." Virgil replied gently. Patton scooped him up bridal style, starting to fly the both of them home. It was only about three blocks but Patton was still paranoid about Virgil getting hurt.

"We'll be home soon." Patton said. "Go back to the bed and sleep, when we get home we'll cuddle the dickens out of you." Patton said, Virgil chuckling a little.

"Okay. Bye." Virgil said, Patton kissing Virgil's cheek before heading back to fight bad guys. Virgil went inside with a sigh, thinking about what his mother would say if she could see him now.