Chapter 25

It's awkward between the two boy's as they both get ready for school. 

The rain is like the static of a broken TV as nothing but the sound of its dull patter encompasses the gloomy room. Taehyung pulls on his uniform and adjusts his tie while Jungkook lazily slides on his shoes. In normal mornings the room would usually explode with grumpy complaints and meaningless dialogue. 

Today is different. There's no chatter. There are complaints.  Instead, there is a thick tension that grips the throats of both boys and prevents a word from spilling past their lips. 

Taehyung stands up straight and then brushes off his uniform but his attention diverges to his peripheral vision. He sees the way that Jungkook is looking at him. The ravenette looks hesitant before he straightens his figure and slowly starts walking towards the smaller boy. Before he can make it, however, Taehyung hurriedly grabs his bag and rushes out the door. 

The timbre rattles a miserable sound as it slams shut. And there behind both doors stand two boys with their heavy hearts. 

And it's strange really. 

It's strange to think how easily things can change. 

One minute you know someone and the next minute you don't. 

~

The day drones on and on and on. Taehyung feels like he's walking through a dark tunnel and is trying to find the goddamn light at the end. He doesn't find the light. 

Taehyung has endured four whole subjects while blatantly ignoring his roommate but it seems that fate is bound to bring him to misfortune. 

Choir. 

The one subject where he can't just pretend Jungkook doesn't exist. 

I mean how can he? When the boy is standing right in front of him, dull eyes staring blankly into his own as he waits for him to start singing. 

"You going to start?" 

Taehyung is taken aback by the coldness in the other's tone. It feels like its back to day one. Stangers. Taehyung feels his heartstrings pull at the thought but he brushes it aside. 

No, he thinks. No this is good. This is what needs to happen. The more distant they become the easier it will be. 

Taehyung looks up and notices that Jungkook is staring at him impatiently, waiting for him to start. The smaller clears his throat before shuffling to the back of the room, away from the other. He takes a small breath before finally starting. 

Fire on fire

His voice is barely above a whisper; the melody soft and shy. 

Would normally kill us

Jungkook's voice doesn't hold its normal flare as he sings. It sounds weak; Fragile. But it's devastatingly beautiful. 

Their voices slowly ease together. The room is ever so silent as they sing along to the dull throb of their hearts. 

With this much desire, 

together, we're winners. 

The irony. Because as they sing together within the scorching moulds of unbound tension they are anything but winners.  

They feel like losers. 

"That was... bloody horrible," Mr Tay speaks, causing the two boys to spin around in shock. Is this man a spy, like damn.