two | mumbai |

Pari stood collecting the bulk of luggage that she had carried for her stay in Mumbai, India she mentally cursed Daniel for doing this to her. How was she supposed to change what she has gotten used to for so long? And above all, how was coming to India going to help her with that?

Yes, I had a past here and it wasn't a good one.

Pari's mind went back to last Monday when Daniel had come to visit her after months, which was common considering he was always away for business. He had called her to the living room, his arms folded and face serious, the one he kept during his business deals to intimidate the other party, Pari had gotten used to it by now. She had walked into the living room, not a care in this world when she saw his gaze at her, she smiled at him wishing him morning but he didn't seem to care less. Not even bothering to wish her back, he solemnly asked her to take a seat on the couch that stood before his stout physique. Daniel looked serious, Pari had rarely seen him being that serious with her in the six years of knowing him, although she hardly ever saw him, he was always moving here and there for him work, managing the hundreds of companies under him day and night. And if not that he would be on a retreat taking a break from his monotonous life. But who was she to complain? He was someone who have just saved her when she had needed it the most.

One look at Daniel and everybody could say he looked tired. He was already in his late fifties; the hair had started to grey no matter how hard he tried to hide them with dyes. It had also thinned down exposing his forehead and making it appear larger than it actually had been. His eyes were deep set and lips were always in a line giving him the look of always being in some serious though, which he actually was in.

Daniel broke the silence as he began " Pari I want you to go back to India."

"What?" Pari said her jaw nearly hitting the floor as she tried to process the brand-new information in her head.

"I have made all the arrangements for you; I have also spoken to one of the top directors and producers of the Indian Film Industry and you can start as an Assistant Director under him after a month." Daniel said with the same gravity in his voice except now his eyes had become softer. It showed the care for Pari that they had always reflected. He was now walking closer to her almost as if trying to pacify her. She could feel her legs get wobbly from all that Daniel had been saying and held on to the back of the couch to keep herself from falling.

Pari was still trying to steady herself, and as she stammered to ask Daniel the reason for his sudden decision, but she was cut short by Daniel who proceeded to continue "You leave on Sunday, say goodbye to everyone and no excuses",

She knew right then she was not going to let go of the matter so easy.

How could he ask me to go back to the place from where I had to escape? A place that still haunts me till today, a place that had nearly killed me.

"By why? Why would you do this after knowing everything?" Pari stammered unable to control that tears were already starting to pour from her eyes but all in vain.

"You need to get over your past, darling. You need to go back to where it all started and learn to let go of things. You have to learn to trust people again and start looking at life better. You have to start loving yourself again" Pari heard Daniel say to her in between her muffled cries. She was finding it hard to breath and Pari knew she might soon be overcome with another of her anxiety attacks

"But I do trust people, I trust you, I trust Harpreet, Louise. and I also love myself." Pari protested, her now red eyes looking at Daniel pleadingly.

"You are going and that's final. You leave this Sunday, no excuses. It's better you use the time here to make some memories to last you a while." Daniel said in one go and then turned around to leave the room. Pari was sure he wasn't going to wait around for her to try and deter him from his decision.