3

Slowly he sits up, peeking over the rock, his stomach filled with nerves as he's might be making his first friend in ever.

"H-hi." He stutters watching the man frown at his appearance. So much for making friends.

"I'm Jungkook."

"I know who you are, everyone knows who you are, what are you doing here?" The creature asks, voice not indicating that he wants to be friends.

"D-Do you want to be m-my friend?" The mermaid asks shyly, softly pointing at the shell he left.

"No."

He's silent for a while, not sure how to react before his eyes well up with tears and he nods. "O-okay, sorry." With that he turns around and swims off, not minding the rocks too much and even scratching his arm on his way out of the rocky maze.

He quickly swims off, trying not to cry but doing so eventually. Lowering himself onto a rock, softly sniffling as he realises that it must be his fault. His brother has friends, his father has friends, his mother too, but he? No he doesn't have friends. He's just prince Jungkook, always alone.

"Oh Mr Starfish." He sighs, softly poking the red creature that sits on a rock. "I wish I wasn't born a prince, I wish I wasn't ever born."

Softly laying his head to rest after a night of crying the door is slammed open by none other than Kim Namjoon himself.

"Good morning prince— oh you look horrible. Haven't you slept well?"

"I haven't slept at all Joonie."

"Oh prince." The merman sighs. "You need your sleep, I'll ask the healer if he can take a look at you."

"Why don't I have any friends Joonie? Am I weird?"

The elder pauses from where he's opening the curtains. "What?"

"Everyone has friends but not me. Does everyone hate me?"

The taller smiles sadly. "I know your life is difficult Jungkook, and it's hard being who you are and yes you're a little weird." He softly cups the princes face. "But you're good, inside out and I'm your friend."

"You're more like my father." The teen mumbles, eyes filling with tears again. "I want a real friend Joonie. Oh please will you ask Queen and King Jeon to allow me to go outside."

"No Jungkook, and you know they prefer mom and dad."

"Well, tell mom and dad I'm not coming out of bed today."

Sitting down at the edge of the bed the merman sighs. "You don't understand it yet, but this is for your own good. Believe me, you will thank me one day."

"I won't."

"Now you are going to get up and maybe, if you're really good today I'll allow you to go outside with me for ten minutes." Namjoon says hoping to cheer the young merman up but Jungkook merely shrugs.

"I'm not coming out of bed."

Namjoon smiles. "Not even if I order someone to go to the surface and buy some of that human fruit?"

Now Jungkook's attention is sparked.

"Strawberries?"

"And if you don't complain about your dinner tonight I'll also have them get you mango, deal?"

The prince nods frantically.

"Deal!"