4

With some strawberries and neatly cut pieces of mango safely kept in a clam, Jungkook makes his way back to the cave, to the strange and rude creature that made him cry the day before, he's determined to make him a friend.

Finding his way back to the cave, he carefully approaches, promising himself not to cry again and a the very likely rejection.

"Mr Octopus?"

The man looks up with a frown. "Go away kid." He snaps, eyes holding annoyance but Jugkook isn't going down that easily.

"I-I brought strawberries and mango."

Now the creature looks surprised. "Why?"

"I want to be friends."

The creature scoffs. "Don't you get it kid? Cecaelia's and mermaids are not a good match. Now go back to your castle."

"N-no!" He stubbornly says, setting down the clam. "Why are you so mean to me?! I never did anything to you."

"It isn't about you kid." the half-octopus says moving closer to the mermen. Tentacles moving smoothly as they spread out, making him look bigger and more intimidating than he is. "It's about what your people—"

The cecealia pauses, eyes growing wide. "Oh—" with that he backs up.

"Go away kid, you being here— just go."

Defeated Jungkook hangs his head low. "Keep the fruit, I'll bring more when I can." With that he's off, fighting tears back once again.

"Joonie?"

The merman nods.

"What's an cecaelia?"

The elder drops his book, eyes wide as he stares at the mermaid prince. "W-where did you learn that word?"

"Oh I don't remember, why?"

Namjoon grabs his shoulders with an urgent look in his eyes. "Listen, you do not ever mention those creatures again. Am I clear?"

"But why not Joonie?"

"Just don't. Please promise me you won't!" The elder says, before taking the younger into a hug. "Promise me, please."

"O-okay! Never again. I promise."

Returning to his book Jungkook feels a little split. It's obvious that whatever an cecaelia is, the mer-people do not like them.  If that's the case, should he really befriend the grumpy octopus man or should he let it go? Namjoon obviously won't tell him anything else. But maybe the cecaelia himself will...
That would mean he'd have to go back, this while Namjoon doesn't even want him saying the word, let alone have them communicate.

"Joonie, what happens when I turn eighteen? Can I do my own thing then?" He asks, changing the topic. The elder merman looks up, looking oddly excited for the topic.

"Yes prince, you can even step down as prince and become a normal merman." The larger says, shutting his book. "You could go wherever you want to go, do whatever you want to do."

"But I can do that as prince too right? When I'm eighteen?"

"No really..." Namjoon pauses, carefully thinking about his words. "You'd still have your royal duties and scandal might cause your family to shut you out—"

"More then they already do?"

"They could completely disown you and no doubt that hurts way more than if you leave."

"My eighteenth birthday is next week. And so many people will be there, so many people but I won't know anybody Joonie, how is that fun?" He sulks, crossing his arms like a child.

"You'll know me."

"Yes but you'll only be scolding me all night because I never do anything right."

The elder sighs.

"Just another week, then life will change and you can think about stepping down, but until then don't tell your parents I gave you the idea."

He tilts his head a little. "Sometimes I don't understand you Joonie, you hold many secrets."

Namjoon just shrugs before turning back to his book meanwhile Jungkook can't focus on the homework he should be doing.

Could he really be a regular merman?