Grief

☆Arthur and his life were so excited to bring their child into the world. But one day changed them forever. One accident left them in shattered pieces.☆

-----

Arthur Fleck sat in the waiting room of the hospital, his foot anxiously tapping against the tile. He looked down at the blood that covered his hands and his shirt. His hands trembled at the sight of his wife's blood. He couldn't think about it. If he started thinking about it he's fall into another one of his episodes and he can't afford that right now. He needed to focus on the optimism of the situation. His wife and the baby were going to be okay. The doctor's were trusted enough to save lives, they would be fine. 

Today was the day their first child was going to be born. Sure, they came a bit early but it was going to be a happy day. But then the worst thing could have happened. While Arthur was getting their things together, ______'s water broke. Now they were running out of time and needed to hurry. They called down a taxi to rush them to the hospital. Well, while they were on their way they got into an accident. A really bad accident. Arthur was the lucky on. The man had taken so much damage before that it seemed like the crash was nothing. However the same could not be said for the others. The drive was killed on impact while the other vehicle had passengers that needed immediate attention, ____ included. 

Now Arthur sat not knowing if they were going to make it or not. Surly they had to though, right? There was no way God would ever allow something like this take his family away from him. Arthur closed his eyes and sighed. He couldn't think about it. He had to push away the negative thoughts. 

"Mr. Fleck." Arthur stood up instantly when he heard his name. He caught sight of the doctor and rushed over to him. The doctor gestured to Arthur to follow him, he did without question. The doctor led him down the hallway of the maternity wing. Arthur hoped to have wandered these halls with a smile on his face while going to check on the little one in the nursery. Now he walked down these halls wondering if he would ever hear his baby's cries. "Mr. Fleck, before I tell you anything, I need you to know that most of those who were involved in the accident were fatal. All but the driver, who was found to be highly intoxicated, in the other vehicle passed away shortly after arriving here." 

"Jesus Christ.." Arthur ran a hand through his hair. From what he had heard there were three passengers in the other car and they were all killed in the accident. Not to mention their taxi driver was killed as well. That was four fatalities so far. 

"I'm well aware of your neurological condition." The doctor stated, putting his hands in his lab coat pocket. "So I expect your reaction when I tell you that your wife needed immediate surgery once she was brought in..most of her injuries were internal.. and in her uterus.." The doctor found it difficult to carry on. It always pained him when trying to break the news. "I'm very sorry Mr. Fleck.. but in order to not lose both of them...we needed to remove her uterus entirely.. along with your stillborn daughter.." 

"It was a girl.."

Arthur didn't even realize he had dropped to the floor until his back was against the wall. The doctor had rushed to his aid, trying to call his attention. Arthur didn't hear him however, just the buzzing ring in his ears. His vision was blurred, possibly the tears that clouded his sight. Arthur pulled his knees into his chest, covering his head with his hands as he let himself go. 

The doctor flinched at Arthur's anguished laughter. His voice was filled with such sorrow and heart break. They received many questioning looks, the doctor dismissed them, leaving him alone with Arthur. Arthur's cries could only be described as nearly animalistic. The doctor took a hold of his shoulders, the only appropriate way to comfort him.