Under The Street Light

☆ For as long as he could remember, he was always alone. Never truly having anyone. Then he ran into her under the street light at the dead of night☆

-------

It was a late night, nearly dawn. Most of the street was empty in downtown Gotham. Those who were out this late took great risk in running into thugs or other misfortunes. Then again, there were some who really didn't care about what happened to them. Arthur was one of these people. He didn't see much living for. His job, his mother, his purpose.. all slipped through his fingers. All gone. At this point, Arthur had nothing left to live for. He had no life to begin with. He was like a walking husk, not really there. Even the world around him already accepted that he wasn't really there. They never noticed him. Never cared to even glance at him. Who would miss him?

Arthur walked down the dimly lit street, his breath visible by the cool, moist air. It had just rained and now was lightly sprinkling. Just his luck. His dark locks dripped over his shoulder, his hair hanging in his face. He was cold, especially due to his thin frame but of course, that didn't really bother him. Nothing really bothered him. Not anymore. If he was correct, he had a pistol in his room. It was calling to him, aching for him to put the barrel to his temple. It was a tempting though, one he was considering.

Was he really one to think of suicide?

What other choice did he have? He was basically nothing already. No job. No family. Barely any money to cover his medication. Speaking of which.. he hadn't been taking it for a few days. Oh yeah.. that's why Penny.. the pillow.

Arthur shook his head and buried his hands in his pockets. He really shouldn't think about that too much. Every time he thought about Penny he felt a chuckle escape his throat. He shouldn't try to bring more attention to himself than he already did when an episode happened. People stare at him like a freak, daring to ask what the hell he thinks is so funny. Then most of the time Arthur found himself bleeding shortly after.

Was there really no hope in humanity?

"You look like hell.."

Arthur peered up to where he heard a voice. He noticed a feminine figure leaning against a flickering street light, cigarette in hand and a smirk on her scarlet lips. Arthur looked her up and down, noticing her provocative choice in clothing. Even in this whether, she was at a greater risk of catching something.

Ah, she was a prostitute.

"I just got back.." He gave a slightly smirk, a little effort put into it. The whore chuckled, pulling a pack of cigarettes from her jacket and offering him one.

"You look like you could use one." She winked at him. Arthur thought about blowing her off and going home to flirt with death some more but something stopped him.

It had been the first time someone talked to him in weeks. Someone who talked to him willingly. At least she found his joke funny.

Arthur nodded, taking one of the cigarettes and letting her light it for him. He thanked her, taking a drag from the bud. The prostitute leaned against the post once more, taking a deep breath of the fresh rained air. Arthur looked around the empty street. It just seemed to be them.

"Slow night?" He asked, gazing at the woman. She rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"You wouldn't believe it." The smoke dropped from her plump lips. "Ever since the murders in the subway happened.. people don't go out at night."

"Oh.. yeah." Arthur's gaze fell to the pavement.

How could he forget?

"What do you think about them? I mean.. do you think what happened was right?" Arthur looked back up to see the whore's expression. She seemed unfazed by his question and he could see why.