Just Like Romeo and Juliet

☆The year is 1830. The strange and unusual were put on display for other's amusement. The deformed were popular, all for the wrong reasons. They were all freaks in the Freakshow.☆

------

Carnival, the clown who's laughter was contagious. The Laughing Man. That was his name.

Arthur Fleck lived among the deformed and mentally deranged. He liked with his family, the freaks. They belonged to a Freakshow which was starting to become a huge hit during the Victorian era. They performed nightly for those were took pleasure in watching those lesser than them. Judging them. Laughing at them. Cruel, wasn't it?

Arthur tried to not mind it too much. He focused on his performance and making people smile. He enjoyed that so much. Just to be able to light someone's face up with happiness, that's all he wanted to do. He was a clown in this tormenting show. His alter ego being name Carnival. A typical name for a clown but he wasn't too creative. It's not like he went to school for this. Still, he was beloved, especially by children. They enjoyed his clumsy performance, leaving them in fits of laughter, just like him. 

Arthur was special. From the time he could remember, he always had the gift of laughter. Any time he felt upset, stressed or even anxious, he laughed. He was able to cover his frown with a smile, even if it was faked. Arthur found it be his special gift. He would never be sad. He would always be happy. He'd be a happy little clown without a care in the world and a song in his heart. He didn't care if he was made fun of by his peers. The audience could laugh at him and he wouldn't bat an eye. 

And then he met her. 

She was a young woman who's smile was as bright as the sun. Arthur instantly fell for her. She was always spotted with a young boy with dark hair. He assumed he was her younger brother or perhaps she was a nanny. She was sometimes accompanied by the boy's parents. They were always dressed to impress, obvious to flaunt out their wealth. It was clear that the parents didn't care much for the rundown property they resigned at but they simply came for the young boy. 

Arthur first met the woman on a night he was sleep deprived and more clumsy than usual. At first he wasn't sure if she was real because of the lack of sleep but he proved to be wrong when during his act just outside the main tent he had dropped a prop while juggling and she picked it up for him. She gave him a warm smile while handing it back to him. Carnival didn't talk. He was a silent character. So in order to thank her he took a dramatic bow to show his gratitude. He remembered his heart nearly stopping when she giggled lightly by his actions. 

Her voice was angelic. 

"Come on, _____! The show is about to start, we shall miss it if you don't hurry!" The young boy tugged at the skirt of her dress. She looked down and ruffled his hair. 

"Very well, Bruce. Let us go before mother and father go on without us." Ah, she she was his older sister. The woman, ______, turned towards Arthur and nodded her head. "I hope to see you in the show, Sir Clown." She gave a small curtsy before letting herself get dragged into the large tent. Arthur watched her disappear behind the curtain and sighed. 

She was beautiful. 

------

Arthur began to notice that she came to the show quite often. She was here nearly every night with her younger brother. Either with or without their parents, but always accompanied by their butler. He was always by the young boy's side, letting the woman sneak about by herself. An advantageous one, she was. She must have gotten bored of the show and walked around the property, walking up to smaller acts that were going on outside. Arthur was always outside, performing for those grew bored of sitting on the hard planks inside the tent. Tonight was warm, a sweet spring evening. This was the perfect season for the shows. People were tired of staying inside all winter that once spring rolled around they would get together and go out for activities. Arthur always enjoyed seeing the new faces of children. They gaze filled with wonder and curiosity. Made him feel like his life had a purpose.