Alone

☆He's been jumped and beaten. He's been framed and fired. He's having a real bad day and now this shit happens.. at least he's alone.☆
-----

Arthur stood at the subway station, waiting for his train to come so he could finally go home. He leaned against a column, his bag next to his feet and his hands in his pockets.

What a fucking day.

He just wanted to get home and go to bed after this. He wouldn't tell his mother what happened and would just have to start his career a little earlier than he'd like to. These things took time. But at the moment he didn't have that. It was either he got started or they would lose the flat. Her medics wouldn't pay for everything.

Arthur sighed and glanced over to the side to see that he wasn't alone. Not too far down the subway was a woman. She seemed deep in though or maybe she was trying to avoid meeting eyes with the clown in the subway. Nothing creepy about that at all. Arthur looked back down at the tracks. Train should be here any second.

______ stood a dozen feet from the clown, her attention no where near him. She knew she should have taken the bus or just walked home. She was already having a bad day and the clown near her wasn't helping her nerves. She crossed her arms and shifted her feet. She really shouldn't have worn heels today.

The train finally pulled up, coming to a complete stop shortly afterwards. The doors opened and the two entered the cart. Arthur took his seat towards the front of the cart while she took her seat in the back. They didn't exchange any looks, just silence. The doors were about to close when an arm blocked it from closing. On reflex, the doors reopened.

Three young men entered the cart in fits of laughter and slurred singing. Arthur assumed they were drunk by the way they were singing. Man, did they know what a note was?

The three men mingled to each other where to sit. Like the woman, they sat towards the back. Who on earth would take a chance by sitting next to a clown in the subway? In Gotham? No.

_____ kept her gaze of the nasty floor of the train cart, ignoring the three men that sat rather close to her. One of them were digging through a fast food bag, munching on french fries. The greasy smell almost made her gag. Yeah, they were that close. 

"Want a french fry?" One of the men asked, extending the bag out to her. She glanced at the offering before looking back down at the ground. At least the clown didn't talk to her. She would much prefer him than these three goons. Her eyes traveled up the cart to spot the clown. It seemed he was aware of what was going on down there. For a moment, their eyes met. He gave her a sympathetic smile before looking at the first guy. "Guess not.."

"Hey, lady. He was just trying to be nice." The other guy stated, hanging onto the pole for balence. "Least you could do is be nice back."

"Awe come on fellas, she's not nice." The third guy started, smirking at his friends. "She's real naughty, aren't ya, honey?" They started laughing. She sighed and sunk into her seat more.

It was faint at first but grew in volume when the men continued their mockery, a faked laugh from the other end of the cart. It was the clown. He was laughing to himself. Exaggerated, painful laughter escaped him. Was this a joke?

______ had enough and stood up, grabbing her bag and rushing down the cart. She had to pass by the clown to get to the other cart. As she did he seemed to aim his pleas at her, as if begging her to lot leave him alone. She continued on, exiting the cart as the men called after her.

As slammed the door shut and sighed. Safe at least, she hoped. This cart was completely empty. Good. She took her seat towards the door. As soon as those doors opened she was out of there. She just had to pray that none of the creeps followed her. She sat back and listened to the screeching of the tracks and watched the tunnel walls pass by. What a day.