sixteen

-------✰-------

-------✰-------

when the movie finally ended, i told johnny and pony to head home. i thought i should talk to dallas.

i'm not sure if dallas noticed i was following him or not, but i decided to talk to him.

"did i do something wrong?" i ask coming up on the side of him. i can't stand him being mad at me, i hate it.

he huffs and looks at me in the eyes for a few seconds then turns his head back to looking in front of him. "you know it's bad that youre following me at this time of night?"

"i mean..i guess. what do you mean by that?" i ask, yet another question.

"it's just that not a lotta people like me, kid. i'm more likely to get jumped at this time of night when there's barely anyone out." he says, taking out a cigarette.

i'm not an big smoker like most of the boys are. i didn't know what to reply to that and he didn't answer my initial question. "are you mad at me?"

"i don't know." he replies.

i furrow my eyebrows in response. what does he mean he doesn't know? i guess it was a dumb question, the answer is quite obvious but i wish he'd tell me why he's upset.

"yes you do." i say back without thinking.

he turns his head to look at me real fast then scoffs. "jesus madison, go home." he says and begins walking a different direction.

i hesitantly follow him, knowing that it's dangerous but i won't be able to sleep tonight without knowing.

"come on dal, im sorry. can you please just tell me why you're angry with me?" i say trying to grab his arm so that he would stop walking so fast.

he pulls away harshly, ignoring me.

"please." i say

silence. he continues to ignore me.

"i won't be able to sleep until i know what i did wrong, dallas." i say crossing my arms.

he stops walking and then runs his hand through his hair out of annoyance. he turns to me and sighs.

"i'm not mad at you." he says.

"what? you've been mad at me ever since we got out of the store." i reply.

"i'm mad at myself, that's all. go home." he says and turns around beginning to walk again.

you've got to be kidding me. "dallas winston stop being so ignorant for one god damn minute!" i yell. "what is there to be mad about? why would you be mad at yourself?"

he turns around and walks quickly over to me. my eyes widen and my heart beat quickens. he looks down at me and points his finger in my face as he talks.

"i'm mad at myself that i even felt a tad jealous about the fact that you gave the kid your number" he says whispering but with anger in his voice.

"there's no reason for me to be, and i've been trying to ignore that feeling since but i can't. and don't even begin to think i like you like that because i don't. i can't." he turns around and begins walking back to wherever he was going. probably bucks.

my jaw drops to his response. i feel tears begin to brim in my eyes. a lump in my throat. i try to talk.

"what do you mean you can't like me? whats so bad about me?" i shout between sobs.

he doesn't answer and i watch him disappear into the darkness. my chest hurts, but i don't want to cry here. i wipe my eyes and head home.