twenty eight

-------✰-------

-------✰-------

i turn the radio off and go for a walk. i think about how steve must be feeling. i think about how disappointed darry must be in me for dropping out and being with dal. i think about what dallas is doing right now. he's probably getting laid.

i go wherever my feet take me, not having a destination. i look ahead of me and see the dingo. i decide that i'll go in and grab a drink.

as i get closer, i see dallas leaning against the pole outside smoking a cigarette.

i stand there for a moment, wondering if i should talk to him. i choose not to, and i sneak by him the best i can.

as i open the door it rings. i take a seat and wait for the waitress to come by. when she does, i order a large coke.

"by yourself?" she asks.

"uhh..yeah" i say with an awkward chuckle. she walks off.

my drink comes quickly, i pay her there. i put my elbow on the table and rest my head in my hand as i drink.

i hear the door ring again as it opens, but i don't bother looking up. a few moments after, someone sits in the seat in front of me.

i look up with a puzzled look on my face, but that turns to shock when i see its dallas.

"hey.." he greets, clearing his throat. i sit there starting at him in silence, not knowing what to say.

he looks down at his hands resting on the table and begins messing with his ring.

"buck talked to me this morning, then steve called not too long ago" he says.

"oh, really? how'd that go?" i ask, taking a sip of my coke.

"fine..good.." he scratches the back of his neck "listen..i should've let you talk..i'm sorry for getting so upset and believing him right away..i've just known him for so long i wouldn't expect him to lie to-"

i cut him off "wait so..are we cool now?" i ask eagerly.

"um..yeah, man."

i take a deep breath and feel a smile grow on my face.

"i need to apologize though about what i said before.." he says. thats when i remember once again that he said he was only using me to get laid. my smile fades at the thought.

"i didn't mean it, really. everything i told you the night you became my gal was honest..um..yeah i'm not real good at this but i'm sorry."

i suddenly start laughing. i quickly cover my mouth knowing that wasn't appropriate. i don't even know why i did it. he looks at me confused.

"jesus, sorry. i don't even know why i started laughing." he starts chuckling a bit at that.

"can we just..go back to normal? pretend the thing with steve never happened? he talked to me today, apologizing for it. he had a reasonable explanation" i say.

that's when dallas' energy shifts a bit. he licks his lips and looks down again.

"i don't think we should be together, mads. darry was right about me..i mean shit, you even dropped out of school" he says worriedly.

my eyes widen and my eyebrows furrow. "are you serious dal? i didn't drop out cause of you, i just didn't have the energy to go anymore. and my god, who cares what anyone else thinks? we've been friends for ages..and i care about you so much i can't stand the thought of us not being together.." i say, reaching for his hand.

he laughs lightly, interlocking his fingers with mine. we sit there for a moment.

i look into his dark brown eyes, seeing how much he really cares for his friends and i. how important we are to him.

he smirks, gets up out of the seat dragging me with him. we walk out of the diner and hop in his car.

i laugh as he shuts my door then goes to the drivers side. "and where do you think you're taking me?" i ask.

he doesn't say anything and instead starts the car. he drives around the corner where we're out of sight. before i can react, he's grabbing my face and pulling me into him.

i smile into the kiss as i feel the butterflies i always get around him. i crawl out of my seat the best i can without breaking contact and sit on his lap.

we stay there for a moment, not being able to get our hands off of each other. we didn't do anything else though, we aren't the ones to do it in cars.

eventually he pulls away, and rests his forehead on mine. we both stare into each others eyes, trying to catch our breath.

i let out a big sigh and move back to my seat. he looks at me for a moment, then puts his hand around his neck, taking off his christopher.

i smile widely as he puts it around mine once again. it feels so nice to wear it.

he starts the car and we drive around the area a bit. he asked me to tell him what steve had said to me this morning, so i did.

i tell him how shitty i feel about it. for a moment, he tries to blame it on himself; saying that if he hadn't come into the bathroom and done what he had none of this would've happened.

i disagreed. i said he would've asked me on a date either way. i ask him if steve and him are buddies again. he said yes, but he thinks it'll be a little awkward around him still.

he says how he'll always be buddies with everyone in the gang no matter what happens.

that made me start thinking. would he continue to be friends with me if i had slept with steve?

it's only 12pm so we decide to go to the dx and hang around there until pony and johnny get outta school.