thirty

-------✰-------

-------✰-------

dal and i both ended up struggling to fall asleep last night. instead we had lied on our backs in the dark, talking to each other.

we talked about what we think we got in the future, and if we think we'll stay together.

dal told me he loved me. like, a lot. said he'd never felt like this with anyone. he wasn't nearly as angry with sylvia as he was with me when he thought i'd slept with steve.

of course, she hadn't slept with steve but she two-timed him multiple times while he was in jail.

he said he feels like i'm the only one who gets him, the only one he can talk to. of course, johnny and him are good friends, but johnny and pony have definitely gotten even closer than him and dal.

which is good i guess. dal and i agreed on getting an apartment around here. it's a little out of town, but we can still visit everyday.

we probably won't everyday, but we will a lot. it's getting expensive for dal to stay at bucks, and it's not like my momma will miss me.

not asking for pity, but we don't really talk. we live in the same house but we know nothing about each other. both of us are always gone.

we both got up quite early, anxious to tell everyone the news. i throw on a pair of baggy jeans and one of dals big shirts.

dal wears his usual clothes, black shirt, brown leather jacket and jeans. we hop in his car and head to the diner for breakfast.

we ate pancakes with hashbrowns and some orange juice. he talked about the apartments for rent he's seen around lately, and how we should look at them today.

after breakfast, we head to the curtis place. everyone should be around.

we knock and walk in. two-bit's lying on the couch, darry on his chair, steve and soda sitting at the dining table arm wrestling with johnny watching, and finally pony in the bathroom shaving.

"mornin" darry says looking up at us from his daily morning newspaper.

i smile and dallas nods his head. we stand there for a moment awkwardly before i shove his arm. he shoves his hands in his pockets and clears his throat to get everyone's attention.

most people look over, except for steve and sodapop who are too occupied on their arm wrestling.

dallas leans against the wall and starts talkin. "mads and i uh- we got somethin to tell you."

this gets sodas and steve's attention; they begin listening. pony walks out of the bathroom, and darry stands up nervously, crossing his arms.

"alright, get on with it" darry says.

dallas bites his lip, quite obviously anxious. i grab his hand and clench it, letting him know it's okay.

i told him on our way here i'd tell them if he'd like me to, but he said he wanted to do it himself.

"madison and i are going to be renting an apartment, just out of the area" he says.

i continue with "before anyone asks any questions, it's not that far. we'll still be coming over to pester everyone just as often as we normally do."

he laughs and smiles down at me. everyone stays quiet for a moment.

"are you sure that's what you want?" darrel pipes up. "i won't stop you, but i don't want you guys to regret it."

"yes, we're sure. i know it's sudden..and we honestly just talked about it recently but..i think it'll be really good, for the both of us" i say.

dallas says how it's getting a little expensive at bucks, and i tell them how my mom would be okay with it.

everyone seems pretty unbothered about it. we all begin to just hangout. we watched some television and talked.

i couldn't help but pay attention to johnny, i hope he's alright with it. a lot of nights i think about how he must thing i took dallas away from him.

when we all go outside, i pull johnny aside. "hey, can we talk?" i ask. he nods and walks over to the side with me.

"are you okay? yknow..with me and dal. i feel real guilty cause you guys don't talk as much" i tell him.

he looks up at me "ah, man..nah, don't worry about it. dals real happy with you, i can tell. especially since he's getting a place with you. it's real surprising.."

i smile softly, and grab his hand. "i really hope you're truly okay with it. i'm gonna have dal hang around you more, alright? i promise" i say, and walk back to the group.

we all say our goodbyes, and dal and i head off to rent out the apartment.

it's been a few days since we rented the place, we each got packed up. the apartment is small, but it's nice. it's got 2 rooms..there was one with a single, but i wanted to have one extra, so that johnny can sleep over whenever is needed.

i told him we can pick him up whenever, and to not be too shy to ask. i just want him to feel safe somewhere.

we got all of our stuff moved in pretty quickly. we didn't have much yet. dallas' bed will be the one in our room, and mine will be in the extra room.

i have my dresser and dallas has his. our room is the biggest of course, so we can fit more. i'll probably put a bookshelf or something in the extra room, have it store some clothes that i don't wear that often.

we went to the thrift store and got a couch. buck helped us out with it, let us borrow his truck.

found some silverware, plates/bowls and cups there too; the necessities. we can't afford anything new.

dallas and i aren't ever gonna get married, don't really care about the label. we don't want kids, we still want to be able to go out and cause trouble.

maybe even grow old together. that's all i would ask for. i love him to pieces. we both got jobs, darry got dal a job with him. i work at the library down the street, it's a quick walk.

i'm really happy with him, and this is definitely one of the best decisions i've ever made. johnny stays a lot, which makes me feel a lot better. i know he's safer here, and he feels better here too.

pony comes over and has sleepovers with us, we get pizza and drink. they're real fun.

i am so thankful for all the people in my life, i couldn't ask for any better.

-------✰-------

hi !!! to start off, i really hope you guys enjoyed this book ! i've really enjoyed writing it, and though i'm a little sad it's ending, i'm quite excited to start my new one. it's also a dallas fanfic called "annalise" so make sure to look out for it !!! thank you for all the love on this book :) <3 it's currently 2:00 am on dec. 25th, so happy holidays !