8

[ 08

[ 08. THE QUEEN'S SECRET]

"Technically, the earth queen has a right to conscript her citizens" Bumi mumbled and you all glared at him. "What? It's true"

"What if Kai was finded airbending?! He might have been taken too" you said, being worried about your brother.

"Probably not. He is suprisingly difficult to catch. Like a little greased hog monkey" Bolin joked.

"But was if he was?" Jinora asked and frowned.

"Y/n, Jinora. Don't worry, we will find him. We just need to figure out where to look" Korra said and Jinora squeezed your hand.

"I bet they're in lake Laogai" Mako said, and you all turned to look at him surprised. "What? I've been reading some of Jinora's books"

"The old Dai Li agents used to have a secret fortress beneath the lake." Mako explained.

"Mako's right. The perfect spot to hide airbenders. And I know how to check it out without being caught! I can project my spirit into it!" Jinora said and smiled.

"You mean that out of body thing you did to help giant spirity-Korra?"

"You can still do that?" Tenzin gapsed.

"It's not as powerful as it was during Harmonic Convergence.. but if I get close enough I think I can do it" Jinora said confidently.

"Let's go get Kai out! Let's get all the airbenders out!" Korra stated.

-
Tenzin, Korra and Jinora left, going near the lake Laogai. After a while they came back.

Jinora managed to find Kai. Turns out the airbenders were underground, right under the Queen's temple.

"We have to get to that compound tonight and get those airbenders out" Tenzin stated.

"We go in under the cover of darkness. Two small in searching teams and a third on the outside. Then all we'll need is 12 tons of blasting jelly, a medium sized bulldozer and does anyone has a badger mole that knows Mors code?" Bumi said, sitting at the stairs.

You were about to say something when someone knocked on the door. "Ugh, great, not the queen again" you said and huffed.

"Everyone act normal. And Bolin..."

"I'm on it!" Bolin nodded and gently put Pabu under his shirt.
Tenzin opened the door and a middle aged woman in silver suit walked in with an icy demeanor. She also had a scar on her face.

"Lin? What are you doing here?" Tenzin asked surprised.

"We need to get Korra out of here immediately. Her life is in danger" The woman said.

"What?! What's going on?!" Korra was startled.

"I just got word from Lord Zuko and Tonrack"

"Why is lord Zuko with my dad?" Korra inquired and furrowed her eyebrows. Lord Zuko? With her dad?

"Zaheer and the others have escaped" The woman, Lin, explained coldly.

"How is that possible?" Tenzin was shocked.

"Because Zaheer is an airbender now" Lin stated and crossed her arms. Tenzin seemed to be having a mini heart attack.

"Hold on.. Will you quit ignoring me and tell me what's going on? Who is Zaheer? Why is my life in danger?" Korra shouted, waiting for an answer.

"Shortly after we found you were the avatar, Zaheer and three others attempted to kidnap you. Luckily your father, lord Zuko, chief Sokka and I, were there to stop them. We apprehend the criminals and locked them away in prisons designed to impair their abilities" Tenzin clarified.

"So that's why, you and my dad sheltered me away"

"It was for your own safety" Tenzin nodded.

"Why did they try to kidnap Korra?" You asked, interrupting their conversation.

"We spent 13 years interrogating them but they never broke. To this day no one knows what their motive was. Who are you again?" Lin asked you, still having a cold attitude.

"I'm Y/n, I'm.. a member of the team" you introduced myself, smiling awkwardly. She nodded, "Lin Beifong, Chief Police".

No way! Toph Beifong's daughter?! Wow, you should hang out with the Avatar more often. Maybe one day you'll get to meet more iconic people, like Fire Lord Zuko. You'd die to meet him.

"Now, Korra. We need to get you back to Republic City where I can protect you" Lin added, turning to face the avatar.

"No. I'm not running" Korra said, being stubborn as always.

"Korra you don't understand. These criminals are nothing you've ever faced before"

"Look, I'm not a little kid anymore. You don't need to protect me. I came here to find airbenders and I'm not leaving without them. Kai, Y/n's brother, is one of them too"

"Fine. Let's get them and get out of here. Where are they?" Lin rolled her eyes and gave up.

"In a military compound. And we are busting them out!"

-