19

[19

[19. THE REAL SUSPECT]

Rolling your eyes, you stood against the wall while the others were searching Hong Li's room. You truly believed that he was innocent, but it seemed everyone else had other opinions about this.

"I found something" Mako informed everyone, holding up a piece of paper. You inspected it from afar, not wanting to interrupt them.

"What?!" Bolin asked surprised and ran to Mako, with bread stuffed in his mouth. He found it in one of the cupboards.

"It looks like its from them.《Team assembled. Ready to rendezvous》.", Mako read what was written on the paper. Raising an eyebrow, you slowly walked towards them to get a closer look at it.

"And look at this", Asami said and handed Aiwei a dark green book.

"These are the guards' log books. All their schedules and routes are in here" Aiwei explained as he flipped the pages.

"That guard knows everything. We have to get him to talk." Korra stated and placed her hands on her hips angrily.

"Lets go confront him with this evidence right now", Mako demanded and was ready to leave. You let out a groan out of frustration.

"No! No, let's give him a little time to sweat it out... he will talk eventually " Aiwei denied, taking a deep breath. Mako's eyes widened and suspiciously looked at Aiwei.

"Huh?! You must be joking..", you sarcastically said and scoffed. "You wanted to catch this guard more than anything and you became so obsessed about it. Now you're telling us to let it go? Are you serious?!"

"I never said to let it go. All I said, was to give him some space and he will talk on his own!" Aiwei yelled and grabbed your arm aggressively. "I think I've made it very clear young lady!"

Once you winced, Mako's full attention was on Aiwei.

"Hands off of her now, or you'll regret it!" Mako warned and Aiwei immediately let you go, rolling his eyes.

"What don't you understand? The guard will talk-"

"Shut it, old man. You're literally making no fucking sense! I'm done here" , you yelled  and stormed out of Hong Li's room. Mako let out a groan and then ran after you. 

"Well, uh... " Bolin chuckled awkwardly.

 "I think its time for us to take a break", Asami said and dragged Bolin and Korra out of the room. 

"Hey, y/n! Wait!", Mako shouted but you kept on walking. He somehow caught up with you and grabbed your hand, making you turn around and slap it. 

"OUCH!", he complained and pulled his hand away. "What do you want?" you asked and glared at him.

"Is your hand okay? I swear I'll kill Aiwei if he touches you like that again" Mako growled.

Before you could say anything, Korra, Bolin and Asami walked over to you.

"Hey, what just happened in there?" Asami asked and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Aiwei is acting so weird, I am so confused" Korra commented and crossed her arms, feeling frustrated. 

"You guys don't understand, every minute we waste here, those guys get further away! Just think! How does a random guard get involved with a group of super criminals, anyway?" you stated, getting annoyed with everyone.

"What do you mean?" Bolin asked, scratching his neck.

"That guard is only 18 years old and has lived in Zaofu his entire life! Zaheer and his gang have been in prison for more than 13 years!" You yelled, raising your hands up in the air.

"you're right! everything you say is true, im sorry I didn't hear you earlier" Mako said and looked you in the eyes. He was truly sorry.

"Y/n, I dont.. I dont know. You have a point here. But we all saw the evidence! Its pretty overwhelming.." Korra said and groaned. 

"Maybe a little too overwhelming?" Varick stepped in the conversation, smirking.

"Hey Varick. What are you doing?" Bolin greeted him nicely.

"Collecting pumice stones with Zhuli. That lavabender did a lot of damage. But he makes a nice exfoliating rock. And when you got calluses like mine, you take all the pumice stones you can get your hands on. Or in my case, feet!" He said and pointed at his feet. Zhuli was scrubbing his foot with one of the stones. You all cringed at the scene. 

"What were you saying about the evidence?" Mako reminded him and shook his head.

"I was saying, that I can smell a conspiracy when I see one. Your friend y/n is right." Varick stated and patted your head softly. You smiled slightly and nodded at him.

"Look, if I was trying to set up someone up, I would tell everyone he's guilty and then plant the evidence in his apartment as proof." He explained with a huge smirk.

"Oh you mean exactly like what you did to me?" Mako scoffed.

"YES! Just like that. Remember how great that worked?! Well not for you..." Varick laughed and placed his hand on Mako's shoulder.

"Right. All the evidence points to this guard but I think he is just the fall guy." Asami mentioned.

"But for who?" Korra questioned, whining.

"For the only person who can truly keep a secret in this city... Aiwei.", you whispered and buried your face in your hands.