18

[18

[18. HONG LI: THE INNOCENT GUARD]

A sigh escaped from your lips, as you closed your eyes for a moment.

"Is anyone injured?" A guard yelled, ruining your peaceful moment. Mako glanced at all of you and then said, "No, no, we are all fine"

"Let's go and see how Korra is" Asami stated and fiddled her fingers anxiously. Bolin and you, agreed with her.

"Damn, I haven't had a good sleep since.. forever" you whined and yawned.

"We will get some rest today. We deserve it, after all" Mako said sympathetically and rubbed your back with his hand.

You blushed at his nice gesture but it was dark outside, so no one noticed. They took Korra inside, she was conscious now.

They carefully made her lay down on this green couch, at Suyin's place. Bolin, Asami, Mako and you, were sitting across her, on another green couch.

"This should neutralize the Shirashu toxins", Aiwei muttered and gave Korra something to drink. She took a sip from the cup and then gave it back to Aiwei.

"How could you let this happen, Suyin! You assured me this was one of the most secure places in the world!" Lin snapped out of nowhere.

"It is!! I honestly don't know how this happened. Obviously this was a well planned operation, so don't blame me", Suyin argued, feeling bad for the situation that occured.

"We searched the entire estate. No sign of them", a guard walked in and informed you. You sighed, feeling defeated. Mako kept looking at the floor scepticaly.

"Well, keep looking!" Suyin ordered bossily.

"It would seem they had some inside knowledge of Zaofu. They must have been working with someone" Aiwei stated, turning his gaze on you for a second.

Korra groaned and slowly started to get up. She sat up and put her face inside her palms, rubbing her eyes.

"The.. the guards. It had to be one of them" Korra mumbled, confused.

"I agree" Mako stepped in the conversation. You thought this too. It was an inside job, that's for sure. You also had a suspect in mind.

"Question them all! Whoever betrayed my city will suffer the consequences!" Suyin hissed, angrily slamming her fist on the table.

-
The next morning, Aiwei started to interrogate every single one of the guards of Zaofu.

"What is your full name? Where were you last night? Do you have any knowledge of the people who tried to kidnap the avatar?" Aiwei kept asking the same questions over and over again, at every guard. They all denied , but they were saying the truth, according to Aiwei.

You were extremely tired. "This had been going on and on for hours now. It is not going to get us anywhere. I don't think it was a guard.", you said and Lin raised her eyebrow, interested on what you had just said.

"Maybe it wasn't a guard after all..Maybe it was someone a little higher up the food chain. Aiwei, why don't you question Su?" Lin scoffed.

"Lin, come on. Your sister wasn't involved. Suyin is the last person we should see as a suspect", you said and sighed sadly.

"No, I'll gladly be questioned. I have nothing to hide. It's alright Y/n" Suyin reassured you and gave you a small smile.

Aiwei did ask the same basic questions and Suyin answered every one of them with confidence. "She is telling the truth", Aiwei informed you and nodded.

"Argh! This is a waste of time, just bring in the next guard" Korra groaned in frustration. The door opened and the next guard walked in. He seemed a little nervous.

"Give me your name and tell me where you are from" Aiwei stated questioning the guard. Poor guy was terrified.

"I'm Hong Li. I was born and raised here in Zaofu." Hong answered shyly. You smiled slightly at his innocence. Mako noticed but decided to stay quiet. Deep in his heart, he was jealous.

"Do you have any knowledge of the people who tried to kidnap the Avatar?"

"No" The guard denied with some confidence. You could tell he was being honest.

"Did you help the attackers enter Zaofu last night", Aiwei kept asking.

"No, of course not", Hong said and shook his head.

"You're lying" Aiwei shouted unexpectedly.

"What?! No I'm not!" The guard panicked and stood up. You could see the terror is his eyes. You honestly felt bad for him.

"How did they get in and out?! Where are they now?!" Suyin joined in the conversation.

"Guys, I think he is telling the truth-", you tried to get the innocent guard out of this situation but no one listened to you.

"Shut up y/n!", Aiwei barked at you suddenly. "He is not!"

You were taken aback from his words and had the urge to slap Aiwei. But this was not the right time for this, so you decided to stay silent.

"Hong Li, tell us the truth!" He shouted.

"I dont know! I'm telling you, I didn't help them!", Hong started to tear up.

"You're a traitor to the entire clan!" Suyin said bitterly. You understood that she felt betrayed, but it wasn't sure that Hong was behind all of this.

"I suggest we search his place!" Aiwei said, standing up. Your eyes widened and you tightened your fists.

-
hey guys! sorry for not updating for like 2 and a half months :(  I don't have much free time to write, I've been struggling with homework and school. But I will try and update as soon as I can, thank you for reading this🥰 have a nice day and take care of yourselves<3