9

[ 09

[ 09. THE RESCUE]

Lin, Asami and you got into the airship, while the others went to the military compound to get the Airbenders. You really wanted to go with them, but you couldn't due to your injury.

One airship was handled by Lin and the other one by Asami. You were with Asami.

You used a radio to communicate.
"We got the airbenders and we're headed out. Bring the airships", You heard Bumi say.

"Copy that. We are on our way" Asami answered. Your heart started pounding fast, you were so worried about Kai. You hoped they find him and bring him back.

-
3rd person's POV (point of view)

"Come on! We are getting you out" Mako said, opening Kai's cell door.

"Kai!" Jinora enthusiastically said and ran toward him. She gave him a hug and kissed his cheek.

"Oh Tenzin is not going to be happy about this" Bolin said and smirked.

"Then don't tell him" Mako muttered.

"How could I not? This is too juicy!"

"Thanks for coming to get me! I'm really sorry about stealing your wallets.. and running away. And getting you stuck on that train." Kai apologized, frowning.

"We can't stay mad at you" Bolin stated and hugged Kai. "Wait, where is my sister? Is she okay?"

"Yes Kai, Y/n is alright. She couldn't come here because her leg is injured" Mako explained quickly.

"Guys come on!" Jinora loudly said, it was time to leave.

-
YOUR POV

Mako, Bolin, Jinora and your brother, were on Oogie with Korra and Tenzin. Lin had all the airbenders on her airship, leaving Asami and you following them with the other airship.

"I'm so glad this nightmare is over. I can't wait for us to land so I can see Kai" you said and sighed in relief. "Where are heading now?"

"Well, for starters, we just need to get far enough, so the Dai Li agents won't find us" Asami said and chuckled.

After a couple of minutes, the sky bison and the two airships landed somewhere, you were not exactly sure where. Definitely away from Ba Sing Se though.

With a little bit of Asami's help, you limped out of the airship.
"Y/n!" Kai screamed in excitement, running to hug you.

"I missed you buddy" You mumbled and when he let go, you messed up his hair. "Im sorry for running away'

"I forgive you Kai" you said and chuckled. "Does it hurt?" Kai asked looking at your bandaged ankle. "Not much. In a few days I'll be able to walk just fine" you said and smiled.

"You're lucky the injury is not serious. Imagine if you had broken it" Asami said and you laughed.

Tenzin gathered up all the airbenders from Ba Sing Se and spoke to them. They were going back to the Northen Air Temple, to restart their lives as airbenders. Kai was going too.

Korra's voice snapped you out of your thoughts. "Hey, y/n. Are you going to go with your brother to the Northern Air Temple? Or are you going to come with us and travel the world, to find more airbenders?"

"Please come with us" Bolin pleaded, suddenly appearing next to you with Mako.

"Kai is an airbender now, I must let him to go the Northern Air Temple. But I don't really belong there..so.. " you said, glancing at your brother. He was talking with Jinora.

"Yes!!" Korra screamed happily and squeezed you into a hug, which turned out to be a group hug.

"Team Avatar is the best!" Bolin said cheerfully when you all let go.
Tenzin told you it was time to leave.
It was also time to say goodbye to your brother. Kai came running to you, happiness written on his face. "I can't wait to train with other airbenders and spend more time with Jinora"

"I'm glad you're excited Kai. But don't get into trouble and do what master Tenzin says. Okay?" you said and he nodded smiling. "I promise"

"Also, if you and Jinora get together, do not tell Tenzin. We all know how he'll react" you warned and then laughed. Kai agreed, laughing too but then his expression slowly saddened.

"Promise me you will be careful. I don't want you to get hurt or killed. We lost mom and dad and I don't want to lose you too" Kai said and looked at the ground.

"I promise. And you know me, I keep my promises" you stated and placed your hand on his shoulder to reassure him.

"Hey Kai, Y/n will be fine. If anything happens I'll protect her. You have my word" Mako spoke, kneeling down to face Kai. You couldn't help but smile at his words. You don't know why, but you felt safe around Mako.

Your brother seemed to be relieved and gave you one last hug. "See you soon buddy"

"See you soon Y/n" your brother said and got on the Airship with the other airbenders and Tenzin.

It's crazy, how your life can change all of a sudden. Few weeks ago, Kai wasn't an airbender and all you had to worry about was your brother's stealing habits.

Now.. Kai started airbending and is going to live as an Air Nomad in the Northern Air Temple.
You are traveling around the world with the Avatar and her friends, while the most dangerous criminals are after her.

Lin's voice snapped you out of your thoughts, "Get inside the airship. We must leave before it gets dark"